How Do I Make 3D Heads & Faces?

Decorating By cksmm5 Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 4:18am by Sox-n-Pats

cksmm5 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make little heads to poke out of the tops of sleeping bags, but I have never molded/modeled anything! Where do I start? Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions? Do I use modeling chocolate, gumpaste or fondant? How do I get the flesh color? DO I pipe the hair and features or model that too? Can you sense my anxiety????

4 replies
msulli10 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

There are some how-to videos on youtube. Aine2 has some great videos.
You can also check out some clay books and tools since fondant or modeling chocolate will work the same way. You can buy flesh colored food coloring. I use the makin clay extruder for making hair, but you could also use the grass tip with buttercream.

There are a lot of threads and tutorials on here about the topic.

Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 5

Lorraine Mckay's tutorials are great. I just used it on my last cake.

There is also a link somewhere where it shows a tutorial for a head.

FlourPots Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 5

These are some I made my first time modeling...I tried Lorraine's tutorial, but found them too difficult for me...(they are amazing though and worth every penny).

If you'd like to know how I did them just let me know.
LL

Sox-n-Pats Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 5

There's this video http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-a-head-pendant-out-of-clay-175239/

A tip for the eyes I got from a lady who does polymer clay is to make a little dent (hole) then take a little white ball and stick it in (it flattens a bit), then make a small colored ball (blue, brown..) and flatten it and stick it on the white ball, then make a teenie tiny black ball and flatten it on the colored ball.

I use a little ball for the nose like the PP.

For the hair- use a garlic press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't cut it all off at once or it will stick together and it will be hard to take apart for the hair.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%