Does Chocolate Clay Harden Enough To Stand?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm by sugarshack

fruitsnack Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a two tier cake for my son's birthday. Around the bottom tier are going to be skyscrapers. I was going to use fondant (made ahead and dried), but I like the taste of the chocolate clay much more. Will chocolate clay dry enough to stand without the support of cake behind it (each skyscraper will be 1-1.5 inches higher than the tier)?

Thanks!

4 replies
drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

my guess is not....in order to get them to dry enough to stand independently, they would have to be very thin. and then they would dry, but it would be not the tasty stuff it is when not dry (so you might as well use fondant or gumpaste because thin dried modelling clay is not a crowd pleaser either).

you could try chocolate transfer. the WBH has a cake with skyscrapers made from piped candy melts.

diane

kansaswolf Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know why it wouldn't work, really... Thin dry modeling chocolate doesn't have a different taste than thick MC does, but maybe that's just my palate. What recipe are you using? I made thin rose petals of MC (chocolate and corn syrup) for a wedding cake, and they were ALL eaten. Everyone loved them.

I figure if I can make large roses out of modeling chocolate, you will have no problem making your skyscrapers. You could make them about 1/4 inch thick for some extra support, but you will still have to be careful about transporting it (if you're driving anywhere, I'd put the chocolate on AFTER the drive), and make sure it's not too hot where you'll be.

Good luck!

drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 5

it's not so much that it tastes different, but that it is "dry". fully dry MC is not as good on the tongue as pliable MC, at least to me. it's "crunchy" icon_smile.gif.

i have tried to dry 1/4" modelling chocolate and it didn't work well for me. for me, they were still pliable after 3 days and unable to stand without support. perhaps this is just in my climate.

diane

sugarshack Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 5

Wendy and I are discussing this issue right now! So what i want to know is how does, Mikes amazing cakes gets his to stand alone??? We want ours to, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%