Uregent Help Re: Kitchen Aid Paddle (Burnished)

Decorating By meredith1851 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 8:11pm by meredith1851

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

I have the Kitchen Aid Pro 600 with the large flat burnished metal paddle that you are not supposed to put in the DW. I accidently did and it has turned dark and has like black soot that just keeps coming off. I have soaked in hot sudsy H20 and keep wiping with a paper towel but the dark soot keeps coming off on the paper towel. Is it totally ruined or is there something I can do to save it? I have several cupcakes I need to make in the next few days.....Thanks!

4 replies
mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 5

I would get a new one. You could call KA to find where to get one in your area.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

That happened to another member once... she said she ended up cleaning it with diluted ammonia and, though, it did not come back up to its original finish, it no longer was "sooty" as you describe. It is an aluminum paddle and dishwashers are not friends to them. Once the discoloration is off, you will be fine.

Other recommendations for cleaning the discoloration out on the web:

Bar Keepers Friend
Bon Ami

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 5

Dishwashers can cause a problem, but also soaking it in water will do it. I don't have a dishwasher but I had a habit of leaving it sitting in a bowl of water and kept having the same problem you have. Wash it and dry it a few times and it should get better.

I had to order a new wisk for my mom's mixer and while I was at it I picked up the flat beater for the 6quart with the pastic coating. It wasn't very expensive and I'm glad I got it. Now I don't have to worry about gray icing cause I forget not to soak my beater.

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for responding. I called KA and they are mailing me a new DW safe one but in the meantime, I will try to do what you all suggested and borrow a friends if I need to icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%