Contoured Vs Straight Edge Dummies

Decorating By babeebk Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm by __Jamie__

babeebk Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 3

Good morning,

I'm getting ready to place my first ever order for cake dummies. I've searched online and found that d a l l a s foam has the most reasonable prices for dummies and shipping. I notice there are two styles of edges--contoured and straight. I plan to cover my dummies in fondant so I'm assuming I should go with the countoured edges, but in the interest of saving money, could I just go with the straight edges and file them down myself?

I'm interested in hearing reviews from my fellow cc'ers that have used both the straight and contoured edged dummies. Do you prefer one over the other? Why or why not? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

2 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babeebk

Good morning,

I'm getting ready to place my first ever order for cake dummies. I've searched online and found that d a l l a s foam has the most reasonable prices for dummies and shipping. I notice there are two styles of edges--contoured and straight. I plan to cover my dummies in fondant so I'm assuming I should go with the countoured edges, but in the interest of saving money, could I just go with the straight edges and file them down myself?

I'm interested in hearing reviews from my fellow cc'ers that have used both the straight and contoured edged dummies. Do you prefer one over the other? Why or why not? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

When fondant was first gaining popularity, people tended to like the rolled edges like on the contour dummy....but most people today more of a 90 degree corner with a nice edge......so I guess its just a matter of preference....I like the sharper edge myself.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 3

I get both. Depends on the occasion. For BC iced dummies, I get the sharp edged ones. For fondant, I get the contour edge. If you use sharp edged dummies to show examples of your work, make sure you can also get the sharp edges on a real cake. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%