Help Needed On A Wedding Cake...

Decorating By kimpa Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm by phoufer

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 7

I also posted this in the Cake Decorating page but no responses. Would like some help please

Ok I am doing my first wedding cake for this weekend. And I and my daughter are in the wedding!!! What was I thinking.

Ok here are my questions where I need help. Type of cake: white cake, buttercream icing with ivory fondant

1. All cakes are frozen right now. Can I take them out today after work and level, fill, crumbcoat while frozen or slightly frozen? Then I want to ice the cakes before I go to bed. Should I store in the refrig or out?

2. I won't put the tier together until I get to the reception (4 tiers). I am using SPS supports. When should I put in the dowels (after decorating before building at reception) and how should I store (in refrig or out). I usually store in the refrig however, once at the venue the cake is going to sit out for 5 hours before cutting.

Thanks for any advice you have

Kim

6 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 7

1. why don't you take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge? that way when you get home they will already be pretty thawed. You don't to be leveling, filling, and frosting your cakes while they are frozen because that is going to create condensation and get into your bc not allowing it to crust over because of the excess water.

2. Depending on your design you may want to put in your dowels, stack, and then do your designing. Most of the time this is the easiest.

Wow! kudos to you for being in the wedding and doing this cake! You should ask the reception hall if it is air conditioned...if so, your cake would probably be fine out. Also, it's probably good to put the cake in a place where it will not be bumped while you are away from the cake. Then after the wedding get there and put the cake in place.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 7

p.s. I know this is not a cake disaster but I wanted to help. Sometimes it takes a while for people to respond to posts because of who's on and what time of day it is. Just a little heads up for next time icon_smile.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

Yes,I would ice them today.It doesn't take too long for frozen cakes to thaw out.You can put your buttercream on while still slightly frozen but I would wait before adding the fondant.It is ok to leave them out since you are just using buttercream for your filling but I would use a straight shortening based recipe(I use wilton's)without butter,it will melt. Karen

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 7

As long as your fillings are not perishable, should be fine at room temp.....Word to the wide (I know because I made this mistake before)...Traveling with a well-chilled cake is much easier than a room temp cake...It helps the frosting be less likely to be marred...Also, it's just hm...like tighter, more compacted...So even though you are going to stack at the venue, working with the chilled cake is better than a jiggly one. Also, if it warmer where you are, it will make the cake more stable to have it chilled.

I like Indydebs buttercream..You can add "stay-ice" or meringue powder to help the icing crust better and less likely to melt...Hope this helps

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 7

I was under the impression you did not need to dowel using sps.

I use a one half butter to one half shortening and do not refridgerate usually. I have had bad expereince with refrigerating a cake and then putting fondant over the chilled buttercream. By the time I get the fondant rolled and smooth, my buttercream has softened and it makes the fondant lumpy. I have more success with letting the buttercream crust and then putting on the fondant.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 7

I use sps for all my cakes, no need for dowels...that's the beauty of the sps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%