Need Some Help On A Wedding Cake. Storing, Dowels Oh My!

Decorating By kimpa Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm by peg818

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 2

Ok I am doing my first wedding cake for this weekend. And I and my daughter are in the wedding!!! icon_surprised.gif What was I thinking.

Ok here are my questions where I need help. Type of cake: white cake, buttercream icing with ivory fondant

1. All cakes are frozen right now. Can I take them out today after work and level, fill, crumbcoat while frozen or slightly frozen? Then I want to ice the cakes before I go to bed. Should I store in the refrig or out?

2. I won't put the tier together until I get to the reception (4 tiers). I am using SPS supports. When should I put in the dowels (after decorating before building at reception) and how should I store (in refrig or out). I usually store in the refrig however, once at the venue the cake is going to sit out for 5 hours before cutting.

Thanks for any advice you have

Kim

1 reply
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 2

Frankly, you should let your cake thaw before icing it, or you could have some major problems.

You and your daughter are in the wedding, i would at least stack two tiers and two tiers, then finish at the reception (i deliver my cakes stacked as long as i can pick them up) If the cakes are cold before delivery it makes for a much more stable cake for the trip. And if you are still going to deliver in pieces, place all dowels in the cake before you leave home, it will be one less thing you need to deal with when you get there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%