Zebra Cake

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:18pm by slsharratt

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:40am
post #1 of 15

Hi! I have been getting quite a few requests for instruction for the Zebra cake I recently posted, so I thought I would post them here.

I basically designed this cake by looking at my baby boy's Gund giraffe (Tip Top). I really like how cuddly and cute they are when they are sitting. My Sister-in-law wanted a zebra cake this year, so this is what I came up with.

The body of the cake is basically just a dome shape. I used 2 8" and 2 6" cakes and just carved a little away to get the shape I wanted. I did seperate, and dowel about halfway up because I didn't want to serve 8" tall slices! =0)

The head, arms, and legs are all made out of rice krispy treats. I made a homemade batch because I imagine it would have taken about 2 boxes of the kellogs premade ones. It helps to have the cake covered and ready before you start sculpting these so you can get the proportions right. I made the head in 2 peices (a big ball and a smaller flattened ball for the snout) and then I stuck them together with a cookie stick. Spread a bit of Royal Icing to smooth out the RKT's and then attach fondant.

Other than that, I just made it up as I went. The stripes are painted on with black airbrush coloring. The head was covered in white and then I added a black peice and used my ball tool to make the nostrils. It helps to make a big bow too to cover the joint where the head and body meet. I just realized that I forgot to give her a tail! Oops!

I hope that helps a little. Sorry I am not better at explaining how I do things. I am a very visual decorator so instructions are difficult for me, but set a stuffed animal beside me and I can figure it out in cake. =0)

(Oh, and if you noticed that the cake said "Happy Birthday Nikki and Kevin" let me just tell you that my Father-in-law was real excited about his cake this year! haha- he was actually a good sport about it seeing as how I just made this for our family to take to dinner)

OH YEAH! The absolute best part of this cake is not even in the picture! It is inside!!!! It has zebra stripes inside as well! If you goodle zebra cake you will find out that it is a european style black and white cake (similar to marble) where you layer the cake in the pan by using a scoop (ice cream for me) and alternating between white and dark chocolate batter. SO NEAT!
LL

14 replies
Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:03am
post #2 of 15

That cake is AMAZING. I love it!!!!!!!!!

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 15

Did you use any support between the head and body? You make it sound so easy and i know it is not that easy for me yet lol I would love to try one someday! But it likely won't look as good as yours.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks so much for sharing this, I love it so much, I can't wait for a chance to try it and the idea of the stripey cake on the inside is amazing!!!! You are soooo talented!

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 15

Your cake is just darling!!! It looks so much more difficult to make, you made it sound effortless. Great Job! thumbs_up.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 15

what an adorable cake!! your zebra stripes are painted on so perfect and i love the eye's ! thanks for the instructions,would love to try this one day!

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 15

You are very welcome! I forgot to mention that I did use a wooden dowel through the cake and then pushed the head onto it for support.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 15

Fantastic!!! You did an amazing job!!! thumbs_up.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 15

Holy crap that is AMAZING!!!!!! im in love, will be a long time before i have the guts to try this!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 15

I LOVE your zebra! It's just too cute!!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 15

While I certainly tend to admire tiered cakes more than sculpted ones, this zebra is AWESOME. May I have the courage one day to even attempt something like this.
BRAVA icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #12 of 15

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing ---

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #13 of 15

I'm so glad you posted instructions for your wonderfully fun cake! I want to try to make this some day. I think it's really neat that you made the inside striped as well. What a great cake!

P.S. I love your Cat in the Hat cake, too!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #14 of 15

Save

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 15

so glad this got bumped! i need to make a horse cake this summer, and this is perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%