Sealing Layers In Ri Before Final Buttercream Coat?

Decorating By amberele Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm by ninatat

amberele Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:09am
post #1 of 3

I read somewhere (I've read a LOT of forums in the last few weeks), that when you are using a filling thats not buttercream, its best to seal a cake tier with with RI after crumb coat, but before final show coat of buttercream.

I can't find anything anywhere else that suggests this? but it sounded like it might be nice.

A little backstory...

Okay so I've made about 50 cakes or so over the last few years, and thanks to CC (YAY!) I've learned a lot and only had one catastrophe.

In the next 2 weekends I have two cakes I need to finish, a 4 tier (14,12,10,icon_cool.gif birthday bash cake (Chocolate fondant, with fuschia cascading roses), and a 4 tier square buttercream only wedding cake. (14,12,10,8 all square)

I've never done Only buttercream, fondant is the reason I said okay to starting cake work!

So I'm kind of terrified that these stacked cakes (also the largest I've ever attempted) will fall or something. I'm using pvc as my support between tiers, on the birthday cake (chocolate fondant),

1. do I need a center support?

it will also be filled with alternating layers of pudding and strawberries

2. do I use RI after crumb coat?

I know all of this information is on here already, and I apologize! I am having trouble consolidating with everything in my brain! I thought I would check with the pros and make sure my thinking isn't too left field! Thanks for any help!

2 replies
prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:31am
post #2 of 3

I have NEVER heard of coating the cake in RI between the crumb coat and final coat of buttercream. Absolutely not neccessary, no matter what kind of filling you are using. In fact, the oil in the buttercream will break down the RI, so that would actually create quite a mess! (I know in England, RI is sometimes used over marzipan/fondant, but that's completely different.)

Make sure you have a good, strong, stiff buttercream dam and do not use more than 1/4" thick of filling and you will be fine.

Remember, the support doesn't just go between the tiers, it goes inside the tiers to hold up the upper tiers (cause cake can't support anything). You don't have to use PVC pipe, the plastic dowels sold by Wilton, Bakery Craft, GSA, CK, etc will work fine, or you could get the SPS.

ninatat Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 3

i agree if they bite into the ri they could break a tooth, u-tube has a couple good video's on stacking cakes, i realized each cake needs a cake board under it on top of the dowels, i bought mine at a local cake supply store, not very expensive. take a look at edna's video

Quote by @%username% on %date%