Its A Start

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 1:31am by bemecheli

d3sc3n7 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 8

Well, since I started doing cakes...I was just working with what I had around the house. My hand was my fondant eye, and a chefs knife my leveler. One big wooden rolling pin, my only option. A rubber spatula to do finishing touches on my BC.

Well I've started taking cake orders since some people I work with have seen my last cake. So today I went out and got a few items to help me along the way.

1: Wilton bottom of the barrel cake leveler....10in wide, with a adjustable wire.

2: 4in angled spatula

3: 12in fondant rolling pin, with 2 height rings

4: Bamboo skewers for keeping items in place

5: Wilton bottom of the barrel fondant smoother

6: Wilton gum paste

7: Wilton meringue powder stuff

I'm pretty excited to say the least. The cashier at Wal-Mart (I said it was bottom of the barrel, lol) was confused, to say the least. I show up with all this stuff...and ton of mini marshmallows, powdered sugar, shortening...etc LOL

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 8

That's great!

You should get a bigger offset spatula too...I didn't have one for years and now it's the one that I can't live without.

icer101 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 8

i still don,t understand what you mean.. by .. bottom of the barrel..???whats bottom of the barrel?

d3sc3n7 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

I think once I receive full payment for the cakes. ( I do half up front, half on delivery) I'll pick up some more stuff. The first few cakes I sell, I'm going to use the profit to pick up some more items I would like to have around.

d3sc3n7 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:10am
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by icer101

i still don,t understand what you mean.. by .. bottom of the barrel..???whats bottom of the barrel?

Bottom of the barrel - The cheapest version they have. My fondant smoother was, I believe $3. My leveler was $3 also. Now, I know Wilton sells better quality items that serve the same purpose.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 8

FYI, I've had the cheap Wilton leveler for 10 years. Had to replace it once because the wire broke. It works better than the more expensive Wilton leveler. So don't feel bad that you bought that one, it works really well.

d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

Wow, really! The cheapo one is the better of the two? SWEET!

I'm not so patiently waiting on tomorrow night, when I get to start on the cakes I have coming up. My mind just keeps finding new ideas for them...all day. I'm surprised I get any work done the way my brain is working.

bemecheli Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 8

OMG I am the same way i started makeing cakes for b- days for family members and then everybody's jaw just go's to the the floor.Now my family's co workers want cake's made so, I make a cake, i get myself a new toy, I bought an airbrush online and should be geting it tomarrow and cant wait. goodluck and HAPPYCAKEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%