Shelf Life Of Egg Whites For Imbc

Decorating By erincc Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm by erincc

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

I want to bake tomorrow (Wednesday). My cake calls for all egg yolks, so I'm saving the whites to make IMBC. If I leave them in the fridge till Friday, then make the IMBC to be consumed Saturday & Sunday, is that okay? Or should I make the IMBC tomorrow and refrigerate it? I love IMBC but I'm always deathly afraid of giving someone food poisoning! Thanks!

3 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 4

I always buy pasteurized eggs for my IMBC they are slightly more expensive,but worth the risk.You should check your local grocery store all mine carry them.But if you can't fin them I would use the freshest eggs possible if you are worried about the risk.

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 4

The whites will be fine for a few days in the fridge. Whites tend to keep much longer than yolks due to the lack of nutrients for bacteria. As an added bonus, older whites actually whip up better than fresher ones.

And, if you ever find yourself with lots of leftover egg whites, they keep really well in the freezer. Whenever I make lemon curd, I save my whites weigh them for a batch of IMBC and put them into ziploc bags in the freezer. Then, the day before I need to make a batch of IMBC, I just pull out a pre-measured bag of whites and put them in the fridge to thaw.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I thought about freezing them, but didn't want to hassle with it if I don't have to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%