Help With Cake Design

Decorating By Cascades Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 5:43am by madgeowens

Cascades Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 9

I have to make a two tiered cake the bottom will be a wine barrel filled with grapes and I
Love Lucy stomping them. I am stumped as for ideas of what to make the top layer.
Also is there any tutorials out there for the wine barrel.

8 replies
patticakesnc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 9

What is the theme? Is it all I Love Lucy?
How are you going to put a tier on top if Lucy will be on top of the bottom layer?

Cascades Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 9

The top tier will be off centered in the barrel. Lucy will be a statue the customer will provide.
I just don't know what that top tier should be a picking basket full of grapes?
Lucy will be stomping the grapes in the barrel.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 9

I don't know about a tutorial, but I would use kit-kats for the barrel slats. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Frecklysmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #5 of 9

Every time I think of I Love Lucy, I remember the vita-vegamin episode.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 9

I always think of when she was working at the candy factory, shoving the candies in her mouth.

patticakesnc Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #7 of 9

I think of the candy episode too LOL. I love the stomping grapes.
I did my barrel for my beer cake and it was easy. It is simply pieces or fondant cut into wide strips, grained them with a toothpick and then painted them with vanilla and luster dust, then went over them with vanilla mixed with wilton brown paste. Let them dry and pressed them on to noncrusted buttercream sides of my cake. You can also paint the back side with water so it will stick better.

Now as for the top. Here is an idea. Grapes and grapevines if you can't tell what it is LOL. It is a VERY rough sketch from Paint but you will get the idea. Instead of doing the vines on the side you could always do the I Love Lucy Logo.
LL

Cascades Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:19am
post #8 of 9

Thanks that's a good idea. I like the whole grapes still on the vine.

madgeowens Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 9

How about the I love Lucy Heart......or a red head with a chefs hat and cheeks all puffed out with chocolate filling her mouth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%