Anyone Not Do Any Cakes At All?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 6

I have experience with cakes, cupcakes, cookies and candy. I REALLY enjoy the cookies, cupcakes and candies - but cakes - not so much. I find they stress me out a lot and I enjoy the entire process a lot less compared to doing the individual treats. I'm curious if any one else does just cupcakes and/or cookies and if you have been successful selling everything but full-sized cakes?

Thanks so much!

5 replies
Writecakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 6

Never mind, I was having one of those days where everything went wrong. I'm done having my pity party! LOL

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

Oh no, don't say that. There are a few of us on here that like cookies more than cakes (me!).

I started doing cookies and after a year or so decided to branch out. Since there are about a dozen places in a 20-minute drive from me that do CHEAP cakes, I decided it just wasn't for me. I will do certain cake designs if someone begs and small cakes for on top of cupcake towers, but decorated cakes aren't worth it for me. I too get extremely stressed.

So yes, I have been successful selling just cookies. icon_smile.gif There is a very successful cupcake-only shop about 15 minutes from me. They frequently sell out before closing! I think they picked just the right town at the right time.

I hope your day goes better! icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 6

Wow, thank you Michelle, I'll keep that in mind. I do truly love decorating, but have noticed I am most passionate about cupcakes, cookies and candy. I'm glad to hear you are having success with other forums besides just cake, it gives me more inspiration to consider where I fit in the creative baking world! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cupcakelady64 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 6

I'm with ya, even just a little. I started with cookies, then cupcakes, and people kept asking for cakes. Do you do cakes? Can you do a cake, too? What about the cake?? SO, cakes came into the picture. I am different though. I don't let myself get overly stressed out. I ask what they are interested in, and i know my own skill level. If it's too much, i say so. Then, i guess, they go to someone else for the cake. BUT, they coninue to scoop up those cookies as quickly as i can bake 'em!! Cookies are awesome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Writecakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 6

I think I love the variety of doing so many different things with cookies and cupcakes. Being able to do something a little different on each individual item, or trying to find creative ways to bring them all together for presentation - I just get a kick out of those little things! When I take on a cake, I feel overwhelmed, worried about transporting it and hate, hate, hate that I can work my tail off on something and then one little thing can happen (something fall on it, my thumb go through it or whatever) and the whole thing can be ruined (for me anyway) With a cupcake or cookie, I can just discard and move on to the next, make extras, etc. I find myself enjoying it more, stressing about things less, if at all icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Good to know other people have success doing sweets other than just cakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%