What Is The Best Thing To Use To Shape Fondant Bows?

Decorating By Saharan1965 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm by ninatat

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 5

Im making a 2 tiered gift box cake for a friend and Im making a big fondant bow for the top. Its red and black. What is the best thing to use to let the loops rest on to hold their shape? My friend suggested using paper towel rods or the paper towels crumbled up. I have pvc pipe too. What does everyone use?

Im also making "risque" cheerleaders to go on this cake. Some will be sitting, some will be standing, what should I use for their support to hold the bodyparts together? I dont want them to fall apart. I usually use toothpicks but I cant bend the arms or legs with toothpicks. Any suggestions? Thanks!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

Make the cheerleaders from gumpaste, and just use wadded up plastic wrap as supports for the arms and legs until they dry.

For the bow, I use a 1" dowel which I hang up. Cut strips, pinch ends, make sure ends are all hanging at the same angle, hang on dowel to dry for at least 24 hours, take down and trim ends if necessary. PVC pipe will work too as long as it's not too thick.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 5

Don't use a paper towel core without covering it in parchment first. Your fondant could stick to it and then you'll be up a creek because there's no time to make more and have them dry!

When I make my loops, instead of hanging them on the dowel or PVC, I just turn them sideways to dry on a piece of parchment paper, and then stick them into my dehydrator. If I am making a 2" or wider ribbon, I only use the top tray otherwise they will get crushed. I prefer the more natural, realistic look of the bows when done this way, instead of the perfect look of the hung loops.

If you just bend your figures where you want, they will dry that way without needing a toothpick. Make sure to wet the fondant or gumpaste a little wherever you are 'joining' pieces. They shouldn't fall apart if you're careful with them.

Sounds like a kinky jack-in-the-box cake! LOL

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 5

Oh yeah. This is my friends husbands 40th birthday cake and he loves kinky I was told. lol So its his favorite sports team color with kinky cheerleaders on it. lol Im trying to decide whether or not to do a bikini top and tennis skirt or a traditional cheerleaders outfit. The party is saturday and Im starting it tomorrow. Hopefully I will have enough time to do everything.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

if it's a loopy bow you can cut them and lay them on their side's to dry, i'd use 50/50 fondant take's some time for fondant to dry, when i did them on the cake i used paper towel but it was a pain i don't make mine real thin, you can also a cutter on the edges of the bow's

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%