Freezing A Cake

Decorating By toyanjason Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm by cakesdivine

toyanjason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toyanjason Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 5

Can I freeze a baked box cake? I am really busy and wanted to go ahead and make the cake and the decorate it in a couple of days. Someone told me that I can freeze it and when it thaws, it will be good and moist. Is this true??

4 replies
whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 5

yes it's true. I usually bake early in the week and then freeze and decorate on Friday. They always turn out wonderful.

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

I've been so curious about freezing cakes and kept reading different answers so I tried it two weeks ago. I baked it, let it cool in the pan, then wrapped it with ONE layer of saran wrap (you should wrap it better than that to be safe) and threw it in a ziplock back and sealed it while getting most of the air out. I threw it in the freezer and took it out 11 days later, let it thaw and then ate it and it tasted great. It was still moist and didn't taste at all like it had been in the freezer. Hope this helps!!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

I always freeze my cakes. Typically, right out of the oven, I invert onto a wire rack. I lay out a large piece of aluminum foil with a sheet of plastic wrap (more if it's a bigger cake). I flip the cake onto the plastic wrap, wrap it up (I always do one layer). Take another sheet of aluminum foil and lay it on top. Gather the 4 corners of foil together and roll up close to the cake, but not so that you are warping the edges of the cake, or pressing down the top. Works everytime, no worries.

I would keep it frozen for 2-3 weeks, no longer. Any longer than that and it forms a layer of ice crystals and tastes a little freezer burnt

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%