Abnormal, Weird Or Just Odd? (Don't Make This Controversial)

Decorating By Rylan Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm by LaBellaFlor

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #31 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

i guess thats the way society has groomed us - blue for boys / pink for girls - icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh I hate that too! I always dressed my girls in blue, as babies, and more than once when some dumb woman said, "Oh I thought it was a boy because it's in blue" (it's not an "IT" ... it's a baby!), I was usually able to look at the twit and say, "YOU"RE wearing blue."

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roweeena

I'm also very hesitant when doing kids cakes because I dont make any money off them. Its true! I put in the the same hours as a wedding cake but have to work for half the price, my ingredients arent cheaper because its for a toddler! But I still put in all the modelling work!

Sounds like you need to re-evaluate your pricing structure. Same hours, same ingredients, more modeling work and a cheaper price? Your calculator isn't working right.

Oh one of the biggest annoyances BY FAR when quoting cakes for me.

It's for a kid's b-day party! Why so much for a child's bday cake? Why is it so expensive for a ONE year old?!?!?!? icon_confused.gif

Oh, for a kid's b-day cake? Why didn't you say so! In that case, I'll mix up the substandard ingredients, use canned frosting and dump some sprinkles on top! That'll be $5.00 ma'am! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Yeah. There is absolutely no difference in pricing for weddings, bdays, old drooling man b-day, baby turning 3 weeks old, retiring for the second time from the company that doesn't even want you anymore, the mother in law's b-day that you don't really want to celebrate anyways.....on and on!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #33 of 80

Rylan - I love your style and all your cakes for that matter....I'd rather have a cake like that for my kids then any Disney or Cartoon theme/character... but again, that's just personal taste. I think it's very posh and upscale. Did the parents give you any direction for it or did they just say do whatever? Great job if you ask me!!! Just stay true to yourself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #34 of 80

Jamie, that's exactly how I came up with my phrase of "Their eyes have seen the glory but their brains haven't caught up yet."

Back in the day, wedding cakes were big, tiered ornately decorated sugary pieces of art. Birthday cakes were twenty bucks at the grocery store.

Today, with the food channel, people are ordering big tiered ornately decorated sugary pieces of art for birthday parties. "What do you MEAN it's more than twenty bucks!!!!? It's ONLY a birthday cake!"

No, darlin' .... it's NOT.

I've actually told folks (and while I'd love to take credit for it, I got it from someone here on CC), "You know, when I order eggs from Sysco, if I tell them it's for a birthday cake, do you know they WON'T give me a discount on the price!?" (then get this look -----> icon_surprised.gif on your face!).

You want a twenty dollar cake? Visit your local walmart. You want bells and whistles? Those cost more. WAY more.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #35 of 80

Rylan your cake is beautiful as are all of your cakes. I understand where you are coming from when you have issues with your cakes, we are our own worst critics. You however, have mad skills. I say that because I just do this for fun, I'm no where near the level of the vast majority of the folks here including you. But that doesn't mean I don't know a beautiful cake when I see it, and that cake is beautiful, clean, neat, the works.

Absolutely stunning, if someone made that cake for my child I would be truly touched by the thought and effort. I don't think everything has to be blue for boys or pink for girls.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #36 of 80

It's a very beautiful cake and love, love the tree but in my opinion, didnt scream kids birthday. I have to agree that it could have used a bit more color but as long as the parents are happy then all is good!

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #37 of 80

I love it, it's very elegant and I would totally do it for a boy's first birthday (but probably only the first). I think I would take off the bow and add another bear though...the bow just doesn't seem to go with the theme of the cake. Either way, I'd choose this over a character cake any day! You did a great job!

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #38 of 80

My sons 1st birthday has just passed, and let me tell you I was up for HOURS trying to think of a cake to do for him!!!

Then i thought about his favourite program (I know he loves in the night garden because when its on goes wild in front of the telly lol!!) so I based it on that, if it wasnt that I would of based it around his favourite toy (which is a green froggy).

Kids are ALWAYS into something no matter what age and sometimes a bit more fun then the same old princess/castle cake, boys cakes CAN be cool!.

If you need ideas maybe ask what the child enjoys doing (my intial idea was to base his cake around going to the park), their favourite toy or fav tv show/book...

I know alot of people say that a 1yr old doesn't know better (or care ) but he/she will see those photos in years to come...

Either way the cake is sweet, I like the bears thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #39 of 80

Thanks again everyone for the uplifting comments.

Bturpin, they didn't give me any directions. I just volunteered to give the cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #40 of 80

I love it Ry, great job!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #41 of 80

I think your cake is charming and sleek, and I love it! I think it's great that you put so much heart into your cakes, even the ones you give away. I know both of my children (5 year old boy and 2 year old girl) would love this cake. I don't think kids need boisterous colors to be attracted to something.

Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #42 of 80

Thanks Deb!

Letsgetcaking, thanks and you exactly exactly got my point about the colors.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #43 of 80

OK...I'm going to say what no one else will. Why are you always fishing for compliments on your cakes? Every time you start a thread, it's to say "Oh, my cake is soooooo ugly" and then you put a link to your gallery (instead of posting the actual cake) so that everyone will click on your photo and your You Tube posting and tell you how great it is.

You are talented, but any time I see your name starting a post with a similar topic, I know that you are trying to get us to tell you how awesome you are. Just be real, and own your work. Don't be so insecure!!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #44 of 80

I think your cake is beautiful, and like I said, when I commented on your photo, all your cakes are beautiful

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I think your cake is beautiful, and like I said, when I commented on your photo, all your cakes are beautiful

GAAAAAHHHH!!!!! Fuel to the fire!!!!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

OK...I'm going to say what no one else will. Why are you always fishing for compliments on your cakes? Every time you start a thread, it's to say "Oh, my cake is soooooo ugly" and then you put a link to your gallery (instead of posting the actual cake) so that everyone will click on your photo and your You Tube posting and tell you how great it is.

You are talented, but any time I see your name starting a post with a similar topic, I know that you are trying to get us to tell you how awesome you are. Just be real, and own your work. Don't be so insecure!!!

I'm pretty sure Rylan asked us in the title of this post not to get controversial - - did you somehow miss that part? I don't think your post was necessary. If you know that his threads are something you don't like, just don't view it.

Rylan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #47 of 80
Quote:

Blah. I thought this was a cake site not a drama site.

I don't attach a picture because sometimes it shows just an "x" instead of the picture and I've only posted my Youtube link once.

People are just so judgemental nowadays.

Rylan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #48 of 80

THANKS JGMB for backing me up.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #49 of 80

You're welcome, Ryan!! I expect you to have my back from now on, too icon_wink.gif

Oh, and I love the cake by the way. The ones I find hardest to do are for teenage boys, when you're given absolutely no clue as to what they're into -- rock music or classical, are they more the football type or the video game type, etc.

Rylan Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #50 of 80

Thanks JGMB, I've been knowing that you have been one of the kindest people in here. I will definitely have your back no matter what.

Exactly, I don't even know what to do if I had a teenage boy cake, I'd probably make a wedding cake hehe.

PS: Anyone who comes across this thread, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't compliment on my cake. I don't want to look like I am fishing for compliments.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #51 of 80

I much much prefer this type of cake rather than power ranger/primary coloured ones but unfortunately my clients want the traditional cartoon bright coloured cakes and i rarely get a free rein to do what i want. id have done the same if i were you and had a completely free rein for a free cake but if it was a paying customer giving me a free rein id definitly check with them first how minimalist and elegant they were willing to let me go because this to me does look like a christmas wedding cake .... in a good way - its absolutly gorgeous but looking from a customers perspective its not a typical boys birthday cake so thats all id say.....its my instinct to do elegant cakes too but if its for a paying customer you have to give them what they want and just check thats its not too much your own style over what the customer expects, but in this case you were right to do what you wanted and take the opportunity to make a fantastic cake in your own style,

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Thanks JGMB, I've been knowing that you have been one of the kindest people in here. I will definitely have your back no matter what.

Exactly, I don't even know what to do if I had a teenage boy cake, I'd probably make a wedding cake hehe.

PS: Anyone who comes across this thread, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't compliment on my cake. I don't want to look like I am fishing for compliments.

... is it okay to say I REALLY like the bears?.....

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #53 of 80

I feel the same way about boys cakes. I have had had the same mom call me for the past 4 years and want me to make her twin boys birthday cakes and every year she wants a dirt bike cake. I mean how many different ways can you make a dirt bike cake. PLEASE!!!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:

Blah. I thought this was a cake site not a drama site.

I don't attach a picture because sometimes it shows just an "x" instead of the picture and I've only posted my Youtube link once.

People are just so judgemental nowadays.

Iâve been on this site for upwards of two years. When I joined, it was a site full of people who were there to help and encourage and learn from each other. Rarely did a forum topic become ugly and spiteful. Now it seems almost every topic becomes such in the hands of a few select people who love to enter into a discussion simply to spew cynicism and spitefulness --because they can. For me, itâs hurtful to see this happen day in and day out as well as to have watched the ones who were part of the site from the beginning slowly walk away because they too are sick of the bullies. And, yes, I usually do stay away from those topics⦠but this time the resident Cake Central Bully has got my maternal instincts all riled up! Rylan has never been anything but kind to anyone with whom he has ever crossed paths. He is always helpful and encouraging to those around him and is one of the first to hop on board and compliment anotherâs cake. IF he displays insecurity, it might be because he is. Big whoop. Who is he hurting by looking for a little positive reinforcement? What I do know is that he is never a bully, he is never a know-it-all, and he is never rude and maybe we can all take a little of that away with us.

Now, Rylan, I have not read the whole 4 pages, but my only question would be this: Knowing that you live in Vegas, is there a theme behind the rather wintery scene? Sorry if someone else asked alreadyâ¦

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #55 of 80

Very well said WIN.........it is after all a cake site for posting pics and asking ops.....I agree.........darn it Rylan I am so jealous you get to go to cake camp....here I sit on the East Coast just being jealous.....think of me when your there

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #56 of 80

Well if you notice her signature line says "here for the drama".......maybe she was bullied in high school and this is her way of getting some payback.

Let's all ignore her and eventually she'll go away.

Hey Ry......have fun at cake camp and don't forget to pack your toothbrush!

Win, you're right. I've been on a lot less lately for some of the reasons you mentioned....and where the heck has Jeanne (fromscratch) been? I haven't seen her on here in a while either.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #57 of 80

I think the cake is adorable - it's more for the parents than for the one year old so it's still appropriate tooicon_smile.gif I honestly don't think Rylan is "fishing for compliments" - everyone on this site posts their pics for compliments or constructive criticism - it's what this site is all about - it was a legitimate question to ask if it was appropriate for a one year old because it might affect future designs of kiddie cakes - what's wrong about that???

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:50am
post #58 of 80

The cake is great.I love the tree and the ribbon......love it all

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:29am
post #59 of 80

I like the design - I would have loved it for my son when he was 1. I probably would have put a '1' or another bear on the top tier rather than the tree (only because the tree reminds me a bit of a Christmas tree) but that bow is just DIVINE! I love the rich colour and how it looks like satin. I actually made my son a chocolate teddy bear cake for his 1st birthday. I wanted it to be about teddy bears at that stage and didn't want to use up the cool ideas (like Trains, Lightning McQueen, Fire Engines, Sesame Street etc) until he was a bit older to enjoy them.

I have a little boy and a little girl and I don't find little boys cakes too hard to come up with an idea but men's cakes .... I have no idea what to do for a man! So my FIL and DH both ended up with 'barrell of chocolate' cakes! And with girls, I have too many ideas and find it hard to narrow them down.

Don't worry - the more you do, the more ideas you'll have because you'll be keeping an eye out for design ideas.

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:50am
post #60 of 80

Awesome job as usual Rylan, and thanks so much for the help on the fondant question I PM'd you about. I would have loved a cake like this for my son's first b-day, but my husband is one of those video gaming, super hero, cartoony type people, so we had spiderman, but I would absolutely purchase a cake like this. The bears are just adorable, and that bow is great.

I don't think you are fishing for compliments either. And even if you were, if I made cakes half as good as yours, I might fish for a compliment or two every now and then myself, LOL!!! Brush it off, and love that wonderful cake you made. You did great. Thanks for the instructions for the tree as well!!!

Ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%