How To Make Something Spin...

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 9 Dec 2013 , 1:44am by BAKE-ME-A-CAKE

SJ169 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 11

Ok! I am totally stumped on this one.

I have a customer that wants to order a "wipeout" style cake (like the tv show). There isnt really a budget on this cake she just wants it to be really really cool.

I wanted to do a big square cake and make it look like the course on wipeout
Anywho one of the elements on wipeout is a spinning thing that the people stand on and it spins them around. I wanted to make something like this on the cake. I would most likely make the mary-go-round object out of gumpaste..but how would i make it spin??

The customer has seen ultimate cake off and they love how they make the object spin around on the cakes..

Anywho if anyone can help I would sooo appreciate it!!


10 replies
kansaswolf Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 11

Look into kid's science school supply kits... I have one with a TINY little motor that runs on batteries. Not sure exactly where you'd look for such a thing, but I think it was from Kay-Bee's or Toys R Us... Good luck with that though! I've always wanted an excuse to make something spin on a cake!

SJ169 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 11

lol ok! I work right by toys-r-us soo i will be going there after work then! I will keep you updated! icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 11

icon_sad.gif so far i have had no luck trying to find something that will spin..I have been to three toy stores (maybe i am just imaginative enogh) but the only thing i could find that spins was one of those little baby toys that you push the top down and then the bottom spins.

does anyone else have any suggestions??

Clovers Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 11

Try the hardware stores. Lots of things have tiny fans for cooling systems - if you were to take the blades off those fans, a tiny motor runs the spinning part (like you see Duff buy alot). Then you just install the base of what you want to spin to the part of the motor that spins and run the on off switch to the side of the cake or wherever.

Duff did this for a cake where there was a break dancer spinning on her head - they just attached her to the part on the motor and voila - but you get that stuff at a hardware's electrical.

kansaswolf Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 11

There are also places you can order these kinds of things online, like here:

I don't know anything about this particular company, but there's lots of stuff out there.

Then there's the science stuff for schoolkids:

This might be more use to you (AND ME) since it's easier to understand than the industrial site! icon_biggrin.gif

goddessa12 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 11

YOu'd have to be infintely more handy tha i am to figure out what the right thing you need is... but there is an awesome store not too far from me that sells motors and fans and all sorts of mechancial things....

SJ169 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone!! I am going to look at all of these options and see what i can figure out! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif i'll keep you posted icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 11

Radioshack sells small battery operated motors. That is what you want. Get a stronger one than you think and keep the weight of the items as low as possible. Plan ahead. The guys at Radioshack can help you with the wires and switches as well.

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 1:44am
post #11 of 11

ADisco ball motor! Amazon

Quote by @%username% on %date%