Recipie Question

Baking By Kapelipl Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:24am by JanH

Kapelipl Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to remove the yogurt from this recipe and replace with dry vanilla pudding mix. I want to take out the yogurt because I am tired of wasting the rest of the tub of yogurt when I buy it - packages of instant vanilla pudding last forever. The original recipe is a very moist cake and that is what I am trying to preserve.

Moist White Cake:

To modify the recipe I added 1/4 cup of Canola oil and 1 package of vanilla pudding dry mix. I removed the cup of yogurt. Cooked at 325 for 40 minutes in a 9 inch round pan. The cake is droopy in the center and crispy on the outside. Am I correct in thinking it needed more moisture to compensate for the loss of the yogurt?

This is the first recipe I have tried to modify so any help from an expert would be good. Is what I'm trying to do impossible, should I just stick with the proven recipe, or can I get this to work with more fiddling? Need some pointers in the right direction.

Now I have to decide if this cake is salvageable for my Wilton class tomorrow

3 replies
Kapelipl Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 4

ok, I'm not giving up on this.

Remade the cake, this time I mixed the pudding according to the package and used it in place of the yogurt in the original recipe. No oil added. Its baking now, lets see how it comes out.

prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 4

you could try subbing 8 oz of sourcream - you can purchase containers of sourcream in that size.

JanH Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 4

You can replace the 1 cup of yogurt with 1 cup of milk. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%