Dummy Cake Questions....from Top To Bottom!

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm by ladyonzlake

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a drum set cake for a groom's cake in a few weeks. The base drum is going to be a dummy cake (unless anyone has any other suggestions) but I have no idea how to do a dummy cake. I mean, can I just buy some styrofoam and cut it out or do i need to buy the dummy cake? then what's next ...how do i decorate it? i need all the help i can get. the rest of the cake is going to be 8 different cakes and i have to build the stand! I am nervous!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 7

You can purchase dummy cake rounds. There are other suppliers out there, but I order mine from CK as that's my source for most of my supplies anyway )http://www.countrykitchensa.com).

You can cover/ice dummy cakes the same as regular cakes, using the same icings/fondants, etc. Generally, I do mine using RI, not BC, as it dries cement hard and it is cheaper to make a big batch of RI than BC, but since you're doing it as a part of a larger cake, it would be fine to use whatever you're using on the other cakes to keep it consistent.

kweenofengland Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 7

eewww now i am wondering how i transport that base drum cake to the wedding? i guess if it is covered in fondant then it will be ok to lay over till i get there and get it set up? oh gosh! I have an hour drive in Birmingham traffic! can i use just enough BC on the dummy cake to make the fondant stick or do i need to give it a good coating?

prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 7

Just spritz it with water (using a spray bottle) and the fondant will stick to the styrofoam - no need for a crumb coat!

What are you using as a base to set the entire cake up on? I'd attach the dummy/base drum cake directly to that base. You can do that with hot glue or RI or nail a dowel to the base board and skewer the styro onto that then cover and decorate it.

kweenofengland Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 7

oh thanks! didnt have a clue about the water! that will eliminate a mess. And yes after I responded last time about transporting the dummy cake, I thought....well, i think it would already be on the base stand. and i plan on using a dowel rod attached to the base to mount the styrofoam on.! Thanks a ton!

prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome! Don't forget to post pics of the finished cake! PM me when you have the pics up! I can't wait to see how AWESOME it turns out!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 7

I have questions on this subject too. I was just asked to frost (BC) a real 8" square cake, a dummy 10" square and a dummy 12" square. It needs to be transport stable since the customer is picking it up.

Should I dowel it like a real cake since I will have the weight of the "real" cake on the very top?

Is it easy enouth to place a center dowel through the whole thing like you do a real cake or should I "center" dowel it first and make holes in my cakes and slip them onto the dowel?

I also read on the Wilton site to use RI first and then BC? I normally use IMBC on all my cakes but I was thinking with this one maybe I should use a butter/shortening based icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%