Need Help...how To Best To Paint On Gumpaste...

Decorating By kikster Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm by Texas_Rose

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

OK...so I am doing a police badge that will be gold. I am wondering the best way to write the words in black on the badge. If I paint it gold with luster dust and vodka, will I still be able to go over that with black writing? I am afraid the black won't have anything to stick to if I paint it with gold first, but I don't know how else to go about it.

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 6

Once the vodka and gold luster dust paint has dried, you can pipe over it with black royal icing and it will stick just fine!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 6

You can also write on it with a non-toxic black marker (like a Crayola).

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

You don't think the crayola will bleed or anything?

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

No, when I've done it, it hasn't bled. It does work better to write on things that are dry icon_biggrin.gif so they're not so wiggly, but it didn't bleed at all when I did it. I haven't tried it over dust/vodka, just on fondant.

I just thought of something...I'll do a little experiment for you. I have some dried gumpaste pieces. Let me paint one with some dust and vodka and I'll try writing on it when I get back from picking up my daughter, and I'll let you know how it works.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 6

It works! I wrote on it while it was still a little tacky...the marker didn't bleed at all and the gold didn't transfer to the marker either.

I was going to take a picture to show you but my camera needs charging and the kids broke the cord to hook my cell phone up to the computer...anyhow it works very well.

I wouldn't use a marker on something that someone was really going to eat, but since they're not going to be eating gumpaste I'm pretty comfortable with using markers on gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%