How Do I... Make A Carousel Cake!

Decorating By Sparklekat6 Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 8:52pm by Rosie2

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 21

These are the instructions for how I made my carousel cake:

4 - 8â Rounds (two stacked on top, two on the bottom, covered in chocolate frosting)

The bottom cakes are on a plastic Wilton Cake stand. The middle of the cake has been covered in fondant and then cut out to fit the cylinder in the center. The cylinder is a cardboard wine bottle holder (found at Michaels in their wood crafts section) covered in fondant.

The top cake has been shaved so that it has a little bit of a point to it and coevered in fondant. It is sitting on a cake board. The fondant hanging around the edges is made of upside down heart shapes that were cut out and pasted on with royal icing. They have been decorated with royal icing and gumpaste flowers. I added them while I had the top cake sitting on a small box, not on the actual cylinder itself.

The horses are made out of royal icing using the color flow method. This is like what I did with my butterflies in another one of my pictures. I just do them on wax paper and as long as they are dry they pop off the paper pretty easily. I âgluedâ them to the dowels using more royal icing. The dowels were cut to the same height as the cylinder. This way the top cake has a good support system. Hope that helps everyone!
LL

20 replies
luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 21

Thank you SO much. You did a beautiful job on your cake and the directions are a huge help. Thanks!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks so much for the carousel cake instructions. It is gorgeous! Did you use the 2 inch deep pans? icon_biggrin.gif

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 21

No I think they are more like 1 1/2". It's box cake so it just bakes two standard rounds.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6

No I think they are more like 1 1/2". It's box cake so it just bakes two standard rounds.

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 21

thank you so much for posting this.

a wonderful creation icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 21

oh I forgot to ask, what is the name of that color blue. It is so elegant

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 21

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeousssss!! I totally love it.
You said you did the horses in color flow?? you know the only one time I attempted to work with color flow I spent 2 days on an image and when it dried it broke in a 1000 pieces icon_cry.gif buuuu...don't know what I did wrong but, I've never tried color flow again icon_redface.gif

Thank you again your'a an artist thumbs_up.gif

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 21

I think it is just a green that I didn't tint very thick. I use Wilton food coloring.

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 21

Beautiful. Did you assemble on site or travel already built?

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:34am
post #11 of 21

Very clever construction!

brikl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brikl Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 21

That is so cute and clever! Could you post the template for the horses?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

You said you did the horses in color flow?? you know the only one time I attempted to work with color flow I spent 2 days on an image and when it dried it broke in a 1000 pieces icon_cry.gif buuuu...don't know what I did wrong but, I've never tried color flow again icon_redface.gif

The same thing happened to me my first time around. Then I tried making my colorflow pieces on plastic wrap. It comes off easier. I also added a lot more marangue powder to the recipe. That really did the trick.

Thanks for sharing the instructions to your beautiful cake. How is the the top cake anchored?

Rosie2 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

The same thing happened to me my first time around. Then I tried making my colorflow pieces on plastic wrap. It comes off easier. I also added a lot more marangue powder to the recipe. That really did the trick.

Thanks for sharing the instructions to your beautiful cake. How is the the top cake anchored?

Thank you Malishka!!!

Sparklekat6 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 21

Hey everyone:

So I assembled the cake on site. We were at my grandparents house so I literally packed a suit case full of cake stuff and just made it there so it never had to be carried far. It would be kind of hard to transport the top teir as there is fondant hanging over the side. I imagine if you somehow glued the top to the wine bottle holder and the dowels it might stay steady enough for transportation (personally i die a little everytime I have to transport a cake.)

I modified a picture I found online for the template and then just made copies of it. I don't have it here because I did it on my grandfathers computer. This is the website I pulled the picture off of:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freecoloringsheets.net/samples/Activities/Girl_On_Horse_Carousel.png&imgrefurl=http://www.freecoloringsheets.net/view/Activities/Girl_On_Horse_Carousel/&h=300&w=300&sz=15&tbnid=2iczeIUqe4cW8M:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarousel%2Bhorse%2Bcoloring%2Bpage&hl=en&usg=__1bw4Rf1UzEWr5zOhSqYskZchhXw=&ei=bRuxSs_0I4vOsQPYt4XHCw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=6&ct=image

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 21

could someone please explain to me how you do colour flow. I understand that you must make an outline of the figure on wax paper cover that shape carefully with thick royal icing and let dry I assume but then what?

Thanks!

brikl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brikl Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 21

Sparklekat6--Thank you for the pattern--it's such a cute horse!

Eilidh--Here's a link to a webpage with what appears to be good instructions: http://www.chicaandjo.com/2009/04/16/color-flow-technique-for-princess-birthday-cake/ You can also look on the Wilton website but there aren't any pictures: http://www.wilton.com/idea/Color-Flow

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks so much Brikl will check that out now icon_smile.gif

Maggie30701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maggie30701 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 21

beautiful

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 21

WOW you did a fantastic job on the carousel. Thank you so much for taking time to post the directions!

Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 8:52pm
post #21 of 21

I know this is an old thread but it's awesome, thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%