Agbay Leveler

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm by FlourPots

cathyscakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 16

I have this leveler and am excited to use it on a wedding cake this weekend. The lady I bought it from told me that I could use the leveler on a completed tier to keep it at 4 inches, because I have the sps system and have the 4 inch legs. I was worried that with torting the cake with fillings it would be over 4 inches, but she said not to even worry about that, I didn't have to be so careful, just to level the completed tier. Has anyone tried doing it this way and how did it work, thanks

15 replies
onlymadaresane Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 16

IDK but I'm jealous of your fancy leveler.

cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 16

I have an Agbay - but I haven't heard that. That's pretty neat. I guess I'll have to try it sometime.

cathyscakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 16

Well, I just tried the leveler, it sure is nice. I will have to say that my cakes still didn't turn out level. Maybe its the fillings that are the problem. Next time I think I will try leveling the completed tier and see how that turns out.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 16

Heh...I'm rockin my $4 wilton wire leveler! Still works for me...I'm still jealous though

Peridot Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 16

My Wilton leveler went in the garbage a month ago when I got my Agbay.

When I used mine I leveled each layer and then after I had it stacked, filled, crumb coated and the cake had its rest period overnight I leveled it again as one end was a tad higher. I then took my little level that I use for cakes only and checked it out and it was completely level all over. I was as happy as a pig in mud as this was such a breeze to do and I didn't hack the crap out of my cake or make it worse.

LOVE MY AGBAY!!!!!

d3sc3n7 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #7 of 16

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong...but I've not had an issue with cake levels after my first run at them.

I hack off the crown (cap, whatever) then make the amount of cuts I need. I do this when the cake is still hot (I KNOW I KNOW!) its alot easier that way though! The wire slides right through the cake, and its much faster to cool a few 1/2in slices, than it is a 2in cake. Then I place my bottom layer down on my decorating board...cover the top with my BC or whatever I'm using...repeat

cathyscakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #8 of 16

I will definitely level the completed tier like you said. Sounds like a great idea, I should have tried it, because the fillings made the cakes uneven, I think

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I have this leveler and am excited to use it on a wedding cake this weekend. The lady I bought it from told me that I could use the leveler on a completed tier to keep it at 4 inches, because I have the sps system and have the 4 inch legs. I was worried that with torting the cake with fillings it would be over 4 inches, but she said not to even worry about that, I didn't have to be so careful, just to level the completed tier. Has anyone tried doing it this way and how did it work, thanks

I saw Marjie from Christopher Garren's cake do that a week or so ago on an episode of Amazing wedding cakes.

I have often wondered what it would be like to ice a cake, applying a thick layer on top, then somehow being able to slice through it to give a perfectly level top and edge.

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 16

I think I'm confused. You're talking about leveling each layer, filling, base icing, build up the top layer of icing and then running the Agbay thru it again?

Hmmm . . .

And you know I'm the biggest SPS fan here. You actually have a little leeway on that 4". If it's a tad taller you're still OK - as long as you've removed those collars.

cathyscakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:45am
post #11 of 16

I think that Mrs Abgay was saying to stack and fill the cake tiers and then run it thru the leveler again to get a perfect 4" cake. Then you don't have to be so careful about fillings, you can just level it again if you need to. I know I used my abgay, and thought I had got them level, and after filling, my cakes weren't perfectly level, I used the sps and the plate and pegs were off, I had to pipe icing around it to fill in the gaps. So I still need to practice, and I think I will get it, but the leveling after its stacked would work, I think.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:16am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I think I'm confused. You're talking about leveling each layer, filling, base icing, build up the top layer of icing and then running the Agbay thru it again?

Hmmm . . .

And you know I'm the biggest SPS fan here. You actually have a little leeway on that 4". If it's a tad taller you're still OK - as long as you've removed those collars.

You go ahead and cut and fill cakes like normal. After the tier is all assembled, you set the Agbay at 4" and run it across the tier...if any high spots remain, they get trimmed off so the tier is exactly 4 inches tall all around.

lchristi27 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #13 of 16

I like the idea of doing the top again, might help. I got my Agbay last month for my birthday, and LOVE it. Thanks for the help here.

How do you guys store this thing? I have it in the cardboard box that it came in, but need something better looking for my kitchen.

Lee15 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 16

Ichristi27 - like you I still store mine in my original box it was shipped in, so I would be interested in any responses to you question.

VannaD Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 16

I store mine on the top shelf of my pantry.... I also store books, halloween costumes, home decor.... lets just say my pantry is huge. For those of you with a not so huge pantry, maybe you have a closet somewhere you can store it, that way you don't have to put it together everytime you need it.

FlourPots Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 16

I recently got one (only used it once) and it's still in the original box. I want one of those see-thru containers with a lid that has a handle attached. I need to find one big enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%