Using Straws In The Place Of Wooden Dowel Rods?

Decorating By Tika35 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 2:19am by SugarFrosted

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 22

I always use wooden dowel rods to balance my tiered cakes.I've heard of using straws instead. I know they would be easier to cut but am wondering how strong they would be. Has anyone ever tried using straws?

21 replies
BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 22

I made a four tiered caked and used bubble tea straws as supports between each tier. I did use one wooden dowel down the middle but the tea straws work great. Since they are bigger they can support more weight.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 22

I use them exclusively, but I wouldn't use just any old straws. I use bubble tea/boba tea straws. They are wide and very strong. You can buy them on Ebay, or from Asian markets. Hope that helps!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 22

I also use the Boba tea (bubble tea) straws. Here is a 4 tier that was made using them:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408710

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 22

Bubble tea straws are amazing and an answer to my prayers. I HATE cutting wooden dowels. All of my tiered cakes are done with these straws. I think they have a better support than the dowels. They fill up with cake once you putthem in and become very dence and durable that way. I get them in my local Asian market.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 22

Yep, no dowels in my cakes. And if anyone comes along and says "oh just run into the Quickie-Mart and grab a handful of the straws by the slushies!"...please don't. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Boba tea straws are what use. Amazon usually has 'em.

Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 22

Our local cake store has started carrying them now! icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 22

I haven't used them on a large cake yet, but I plan to. They are so much easier than wooden dowel! I ordered my online and they were pretty cheap. But, I wonder if I have an Asian market near by? Hmmmm.....

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:12am
post #9 of 22

Thanks Jamie for the tip on NOT using slushie straws for cakes. I have been using them without any problems (my local convenience store says I can just take them for free but I always pay them at least 20 cents each) but I have never made larger than a three tier so I guess the slushie straws are ok for those. I recently found a bubble tea shop that sells them dirt cheap (bought enough for 100 cakes) and now I understand - these straws really do feel stronger!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:41am
post #10 of 22

did anyone ever post a pic of these straws?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:24am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Our local cake store has started carrying them now! icon_smile.gif

Off topic, but I was so excited when they did thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:19am
post #12 of 22

I found a good illustration of the difference in size between boba/bubble tea straws and regular straws.

The boba straws are on the left, regular straws on the right.
LL

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 22

Have you traveled with stacked cake using straws???

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Have you traveled with stacked cake using straws???

MissRobin; I have!! The biggest one I traveled with is the topsy turvy cake in my photos and the wedding cake with the pearls!!

I one day hope to have the SPS; but for right now, the straws work great.

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #15 of 22

I just got mine off of ebay. I have Sharon's videos and she uses them. They are sooo much easier than cutting those wooden dowels. I still put the one long wooden dowel in the middle down all the tiers.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:37am
post #16 of 22

I have always used regular drinking straws......get them at Kroger for $1.00 a box.
I've been using them for years actually, since long before people started talking about bubble tea straws. I have done up to 3 tiers high with these and no problems.
The bubble tea straws are pretty and trendy, but other straws work fine too. Just make sure you cut off the bendy section.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:51am
post #17 of 22

I only needed a couple once so i just went down to McDonald's and grabbed a couple of extra straws cose they are free, thick and sturdy icon_lol.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #18 of 22

I have always used straws of some kind, never dowels in my cakes. I started using regular straws until I learned about bubble tea straws on here. I love them! They are bigger and much sturdier. I have transported a 5 tier (14, 12, 10, 8 and 6) stacked almost 50 miles and had no problem with it at all. I did have plastic plates between the layers (rather than cardboard), but still used the straws for support. The cake arrived safe and sound and no problems what-so-ever. I'll try to attach a pic if I can.

The cakes were stacked at home, and the borders and flowers were put on at the venue. It was a wedding cake for my best friend's brother.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 22

I use sps but I hate cutting those stinkin dowels!!! I wonder, has anyone ever used the straws with the sps plates?

Loucinda Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 22

I have used the straws with the wilton plates, but not the SPS - just don't try to use them as the "legs" for the plates, put the straws so they won't be where the feet are for the plates.

figuje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figuje Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #21 of 22

I don't have any asian markets near me. Where else could I find them?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #22 of 22

search on eBay for bubble tea or Boba tea straws

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%