Help, I Need Your Opinion On A Color Scheme For A Cake!!!!

Decorating By smf-tls Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm by smf-tls

smf-tls Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 18

I am making a 40th anniversary cake for my neighbors this weekend and since the color for a 40th is red we decided to put red roses on it. Well, they love chocolate and really want it frosted in chocolate buttercream and asked me if I thought it would look okay with the red roses. I am torn. I have been standing here for an hour staring at a piece of my red MMF holding it up to some brown trying to decide. At first I thought maybe it would look too dark but now I am thinking it may look nice and it would be different. So you know the red is a nice deep red color not a bright red like an elmo or firetruck red but more of a deep burgundy red like what real roses would be. Any opinions are appreciated!!!

17 replies
sadsmile Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 18

Go for a color closer to bittersweet chocolate and make sure anything you do in chocolate( piping, painting, accents) matches in shade. I have seen some really fantastic designs that don't flow because the chocolate colors are all over the place. A lighter or darker piping and accents can really play up a cake but not if they don't match each other.

I would do those bright red roses and dust the roses super lightly-all over and then more heavily on the edges with the darker burgundy dust to really give them a natural depth.

colombean Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 18

there was an AWESOME cake that Wilton had in an old magazine I think 2004 or 2003? Well the cake was all chocolate with chocolate truffles everywhere. and they had put these dark red roses, real ones. but I think a deep red will look real nice. as long as the tones are the same, you can match whichever colors you want.

laceycakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 18

I think the brown with the red roses will be beautiful. Kind of gives a fall feel. And since fall is officially less than a week away the colors should go well together.

Lambshack Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 18

I think that would be a very classy combination. I had a 40th anniversary cake (Ruby Anniversary) this summer and they wanted white on white with a huge rd bow on top.

I almost went crazy trying to get that red fondant to 'tone down' and become a beautiful rich garnet color. There is a fine line between red and burgundy.
Can't wait to see the finished product!

NancyS Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 18

I think it goes. Think of strawberries dipped in chocolate.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 18

LOVE the color scheme of a pretty dark brown with red. Brown looks really nice with a lot of colors actually.

TripleJMomma Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 18

I think it will go great! I like the "chocolate covered strawberry" comment. Good Luck!

smf-tls Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks so much to everyone for your opinions and advice. I am going for it and am actually now really excited about this cake!

floral1210 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 18

I have a question related to this..
After looking at the photos posted by xstitcher to illustrate what this cake might look like, (all gorgeous cakes, I might add), I got to thinking I am doing something wrong. My chocolate buttercream (which OP said is what they wanted) is a much lighter color than the ones posted here. The taste of my CBC is very chocolatey, but the color is much lighter. I would be afraid to add more chocolate to it for fear of it being overpowering. Is chocolate BC really that dark?

smf-tls Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 18

Some of the cakes in the pictures are covered in chocolate fondant not buttercream. As far as the color of the buttercream I think it would depend on your cocoa. King Arthur flour sells a nice black cocoa powder that can be combined with a dutch cocoa powder to achieve the color brown you would like. Actually whenever I need large quantities of black icing, especially at Halloween I just use the black cocoa powder instead of black food coloring. You would only need a little added to your regular cocoa powder to get a deep brown shade. Hope that helps!

laceycakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #13 of 18

smf-tls... The King Arthur black cocoa powder, if used by itself would it make black buttercream?
I have a birthday cake to make for my stepdaughter and she wants black chocolate BC but I hate to use too much food coloring. Does it make a decent shade of black?

smf-tls Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 18

Yes, the black cocoa powder will make a pitch black chocolate buttercream. Each year we have a pumpkin decorating party for my daughter and I always do a couple of different kinds of cupcakes. Given its Halloween I always need black and this is my go to solution for getting a nice pitch black without all that coloring. In fact, I need to get my order in for another bag of it for this years party asap! icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #15 of 18

I agree with the others. I think the colors will go together beautifully. You could even add a touch of gold or silver trim to add to the elegance.

laceycakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #16 of 18

Where do you purchase it from? Obviously, it's a special order item.

TripleJMomma Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 18

Can the king arthur be purchased at grocery stores or only online? Thanks

smf-tls Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #18 of 18

I have only seen it and ordered it on-line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%