Sturdy Cake W/ Tight Crumb...not Wasc

Baking By babeebk Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm by diane706

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning,

Lately, I've been having trouble with WASC. I love the flavor but it's just not as sturdy as I'd like it to be. I get lots and lots of crumbs and they drive me nutty. I thought that maybe I haven't been baking it long enough, so I overbaked my last cake and it was dry.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new recipe. One that is moist, flavorful and sturdy. I love the way Sharon Z's cake looks in her buttercream video. (I've tried heating cores and that don't work well for me so I just bake with the dome and then level with my agbay.)

Can any of you suggest a good sturdy scratch recipe? Maybe like a dense pound cake???

I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

I've made this recipe several times and it always comes out sturdy, yet still moist and yummy! thumbs_up.gif

Cake Boss White Velvet Wedding Cake

Makes 7 1/2 cups batter, enough for two full 8" rounds or one 9x13" sheet.

1 box Pillsbury or Betty Crocker White or Vanilla cake mix (I use DH)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (NOT all-purpose flour)
1/8 tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water
3 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (lightly salted)
1 cup sour cream
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. In a large bowl, put water, eggs, melted butter and sour cream. Mix well with paddle attachment.

2. Add cake mix, sugar, cake flour, and salt.

3. Mix with paddle attachment at medium speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until most lumps are worked out. It is not necessary to work out all the lumps.

Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a crumb or two clinging to it.

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 4

I will have to give it a whirl. Thanks!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 4

I like the Durable Cake for 3D Cakes in the recipe section here on CC. (Starts with a mix so it's semi-scratch).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%