You Can Still Get Poisoned... (Long)

Lounge By minicuppie Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 11:02am by lthiele

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 17

My daughter is pregnant. With several complications. Due to have the baby girl by CSection (early, but Docs wanted the baby out for momma's health) 3 mondays ago. The doc was running behind that day, so they rescheduled for Wednesday...ok now she can eat. The hubs ran over to (SONIC DRIVE IN) local burger place and got her some onion rings. Monday nite she got a "tummy bug". Still sick Tuesday, Wednesday I show up at their home and told them I would watch the kids...he took her to the ER. She was admitted for fluids and antibiotics...fever 104. The nurses took a bunch of blood work...one test was for a blood culture. The daughter was still sick the next Monday when cultures came back. Yep...she had ecoli in her blood. Look up the word septic...she could have died. She came home after 7 days on IV antibiotics, fever gone. Last week repeat blood culture was still infected. More antibiotics. Took more blood yesterday....we will see. She is feeling better and the baby is still inside...waiting for the day that mom won't die during surgery. I am so pi**ed...want to go pos*** at the burger place (SONIC ). Deep breath...thank you GOD...for not taking the mom of 2.5 children, loving husband, grateful mom and all the people who love her. Apparently someone cannot take the time to wash their hands at (SONIC) that burger place.

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 17

Omg--so glad you are all recovering. Hope all will be well. Will be praying for y'all!!!!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 17

Thank God for keeping her going! I don't know what you should do as far as Sonic goes, but you should at least the Health Department.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 17

Definitely call the Health Dept. It could be from the factory that processed the burgers.

I hope she feels better real soon.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 17

WOW! I'm praying that she continues to recover and delivers a healthy baby.

I lost a brother in 1995 at the age of 45. He was admitted to the hospital with double pneumonia and picked up another infection in the hospital which became septic.

He wasn't as fortunate as your daughter and after a week his organs began shutting down and he died.

My point in telling this story is that it may not have been the food from Sonic that caused your daughter's condition....it very well could have been transmitted by a hospital employee that took care of her.

That's what it was in my brother's case. Hospitals are breeding grounds for all kinds of infections and it only takes one employee's negligence to spread these infections.

Good luck to your daughter and I'm wishing her a quick recovery.

minicuppie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks guys...what I want you to take away from this horrible experience is this...you can have every license and food safety class required...and if your employees are not following basic hygiene you can lose everything. Since she was not eating the nite before surgery the infectious disease doctor is positive it was the onion rings and is required by law to report stuff like this and he recommended for them to get a lawyer. How do you place a price on (in this case) 2 lives? We are praying for guidance about the lawyer bit. The lab is culturing for DNA in the ecoli and all the employees are supposed to give up a sample for matching. Holy CSI batman!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 17

Wow how scary for everyone, especially your poor daughter! Try to calm down until you get the results. It's only hurting you to be so angry, not Sonic.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 17

That's really upsetting. I had both of my babies early because of high blood pressure and I know fever raises BP, so when I read this I was imagining your daughter having problems like I did and then the fever on top of all of that. Do they have a good NICU at her hospital, in case the baby has any complications? I'm surprised she got to go home, if they had been planning to deliver early for health reasons.

I can't even imagine how worried you must be...I can see where being angry at Sonic would seem more constructive than just drowning in fear. I'm glad the doctor talked to her about finding a lawyer, that was my first thought about the whole thing...that's why Sonic (and all restaurants) have insurance, to cover problems like this. It's going to be difficult for you, but stay away from that Sonic.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 17

I hope your daughter feels better soon and I'll be praying for a safe and speedy delivery.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 17

My daughter had a sepsis 3 days after her first birthday, which was 4 days after being discharged from the hospital after being dehydrated from a horrible virus. No one would say the sepsis was from being in the hospital, because she was awfully sick and could have picked it up some other way, but, probably.

I want to encourage you that my little baby, who was so sick before she got the blood infection, bounced back very well and pretty quickly with a few days on Rocephin. I pray the same for your daughter and her baby.

minicuppie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:57am
post #11 of 17

Thanks for all your support...I used to work high risk OB with her Doc. We met at the beginning of her pregnancy and agreed as long as I was seeing her every day (and making her go see him if something looked hinky) she could stay home. I should have made her go in on Tuesday and really feel guilty. We all thought it was a "bug". Then fever on Wednesday and she was just SO sick.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 17

Hope she gets back on track soon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 17

Minicuppie, don't feel guilty!!!

It's really hard to tell the difference between a 24 hour stomach flu and something more serious until it lasts longer or a fever shows up...if she had gone to the doctor they might just have sent her home again and then she would have felt embarrassed to go the next day, when it was obvious that it was something serious.

minicuppie Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #14 of 17

Thanks T-Rose. You are totally spot on. Took her to shop for the baby today and she had fried fish and TARTAR SAUCE at Luby's. That proves #1. She has a very short memory and #2 her tummy is all better. Doc visit in AM...maybe a baby on Friday. I want to thank everyone for the kind words and prayers....bake yourself a nice cake from me. LOL.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #15 of 17

That's great news....I'm so happy she's feeling better and don't forget to post a picture of your new grandchild!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:09am
post #16 of 17

I'm so happy to hear she's doing better. I've been thinking about her, the baby and you all day and please do as dkelly says and post pics when she has the baby.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:02am
post #17 of 17

Yep I'd say if she's eating food cooked by ANYONE else she's feeling a lot better! Everything crossed for a safe and healthy delivery for both mum and bub. She is blessed to have such a wonderful mum! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%