What's Wrong With Toba's Glace Please!!!!!!

Baking By luvbugcreations Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm by luv2bake6

luvbugcreations Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
I am needing to make 50 of these with grooms as well but I don't know why my glace looks like this after it has dried this is just practice. To see how long it would take to do each cookie so I could price anyway what happened in the drying stage for this to happen

Thanks Kerri

p.s. trying to post picture her but it says it needs to be less than 800 pixels don't know how to change it so it is in my photo gallery[/img]

8 replies
drakegore Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 9

hi,

here's a link to a discussion some time ago where a few of us glace users were talking about the cloudy problem:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630379&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cloudy&&start=0

i don't get it very often, and when i do, it is only on the dark colors.

gemini (a master of glace) says she uses americolor's brite white and it takes care of the cloudy problem. (i would stick with americolor's brite white as the wilton one has changed the texture of my glace in an unpleasant way...bleh).

diane

cinderspritzer Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 9

I had the problem a few times, but never after I started adding the brite white drakegore mentioned. Don't know what causes the clouding, just how to prevent it.

verono Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 9

I use less water and brite white, and I didn't have a cloudy cookie for a long time except for cookies that have more than a week (with dark colors)...

luv2bake6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 9

The first time i used glace, i didn't put white color in it cuz i thought it wouldn't be necessary if i was coloring the whole batch. Well, it makes a difference. Even a colored batch (i used yellow) looked cloudy. So now i add the white in every batch whether coloring or not.

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 9

I add about 5 drops of the brite white for every cup of powdered sugar I use, and it really does seem to help keep the icing from getting cloudy. It's especially important if you plan to refrigerate the decorated cookies. Refrigeration prolongs the freshness of the cookies, but the glace doesn't like getting cold! Also, I've found that it helps to let the decorated cookies sit at room temperature for at least a day or two before placing in freexer zip-locks and placing in the fridge.

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #7 of 9

Do you mean letting them sit out for a day or two after they've been sitting out to dry, or is that the drying time plus a little more?
When you take them out of the freezer, they are fine?
I never froze glace'd cookies.

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Do you mean letting them sit out for a day or two after they've been sitting out to dry, or is that the drying time plus a little more?
When you take them out of the freezer, they are fine?
I never froze glace'd cookies.

Let them sit a total of 2 days after you've finished decorating them (I usually have them in lightly covered containers). Then bag them and place in the fridge. I've tried freezing, and they seemed fine, but I'm still not comfortable with it. I just don't trust the glace to stay nice in the freezer!The fridge works great if you want to keep them fresh for longer than 5 days, which is all I'd recommend when not refrigerating.

luv2bake6 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 9

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%