Need To Make Black Fondant Look Like Leather

Decorating By grandmom Updated 4 May 2014 , 10:54pm by poey223

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:54am
post #1 of 9

I intend to cover the cake base with black fondant and would like to make it look like leather. This is for a Harley themed cake.

I haven't found a textured roller or impression mat just for leather. The only thing I've found remotely close is a rolling pin that MIGHT make it look like a pebbled leather, if I don't press too hard. Can't get a link to it, it's on that forbidden site.

Would any of you have any ideas on how to achieve this, please?

Thanks!

8 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:13am
post #2 of 9

Roll the fondant, and let it sit for about 15 min. This will make the surface only to dry. Then pas the roller again, you will see the dry surface get streachmarks that resemble leather

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:34am
post #3 of 9

You might see if you could find a placemat with a bumpy texture and use that to make a leather impression. That's how I do mine.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:48am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Roll the fondant, and let it sit for about 15 min. This will make the surface only to dry. Then pas the roller again, you will see the dry surface get streachmarks that resemble leather

And you could get some kitchen bake paper - scrunch it up - then flatten it out and gently roll your rolling pin over that...after the fondant has sat for 15 minutes as paolacaracas mentioned.
That way you can achieve the lines that some leathers have - without them being too deep.

If thats the look your going for thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! Those are great suggestions. I will try them tonight.

grandmom Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #6 of 9

OMG!! I did some tests on making the fondant leather, using the suggestions presented here. I stumbled upon a technique that made just perfect leather!

I rolled out the fondant then covered it with a piece of Press N Seal, sticky side down on the fondant. I made sure there were no wrinkles, then ran the rolling pin over all in a smooth forward motion (back and forth created ridges). This gave the fondant the look of "pores" due to the texture of the wrap.

Then I left it to dry a little while, and when I picked it up to place it elsewhere, I moved it up and down a little in the doing, and these wonderful soft folds appeared, giving the leather more dimension.

It looks very real! I tested in white, but when my black fondant comes in I will try again.

Thanks for all your help!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 9

Well done - Glad you got the look you were after.

I suggested scrunching up the paper as i have done that before - as i needed the weather beaten look on the leather - icon_biggrin.gif

Its great when you can achieve what you need just from something that you already have in the house - instead of having to rush and out and buy it...

Look forward to seeing the cake when finished in Black... thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

grandmom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:35am
post #8 of 9

My method likely won't work - although the "leather" looked good! Once I start smoothing it to the board, then my texture will be marred or gone. So I'll probably have to apply the fondant to the board then texturize.

I'm trying to stop sweating the details so much - the cake will tell me what to do when the time comes!

poey223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poey223 Posted 4 May 2014 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 9

"grandmom"...you hit the nail on the head...."I'm trying to stop sweating the details so much - the cake will tell me what to do when the time comes!"

This should be the mantra of ALL of us** thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%