Fill A Carved/shaped Cake Or Not?

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm by majka_ze

luv2cook721 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:40am
post #1 of 6

I haven't done many carved/shaped cakes. Do you usually fill them? I am working on a Barbie cake for later in the week. I have a 2qt measuring bowl (shape is very similar to Wonder Mold pan) to bake the dress in and will put an 8 in round under it to give it a bit more height. Will be using a doll pick, not a whole doll. Just wondering if you would try to fill or just put a thin layer of frosting between the domed cake and the 8 in. I really feel like filling "makes" a cake and hate to go with out it, but definitely worry about how it will affect the stability. I also wonder how it would affect a cake for carving.

5 replies
patticakesnc Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:10am
post #2 of 6

On the one you are doing I would say no. I do fill my cakes that I carve but they are different parts stacked (such as my purse cake). But I wouldn't try torting and filling what you are doing. Although I would between the bowl and the round layer.

majka_ze Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:43am
post #3 of 6

In my gallery, there is a doll cake. It is not the best one - it is made by children, I just did bake the cake layers. It is torted and filled with no problems. Well, the only problem was that we haven't got enough time to let the cake set. On the other hand, the cake didn't have time to come apart.

But to your question - bake it as whole, torte it if you want. Crumbcoat the cake, let it set, best if you can overnight. Then, decorate.

all4cake Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:25am
post #4 of 6

stack-carve-mark for placement-unstack-split and fill, making sure to place them in the proper order....also, dowel and board/cake circle 1/2 way up for ease of cutting and serving-crumb coat-allow to settle-trim again if necessary-ice and decorate

or

split-stack-carve-mark for placement-unstack-fill, making sure to replace them in proper order...also, dowel and board/cake circle 1/2 way up for ease of cutting and serving-crumb coat-allow to settle-trim again if necessary-ice and decorate

luv2cook721 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking only between the 8in and the dress, I am afraid that torting the dome will mess up the line, I will probably fill between the cakes and maybe bring extra filling to the party and people can add a spoonful if they wish.

majka_ze Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6

Look in my gallery. There are several carved/shaped/3D cakes, all torted and filled. It doesn't mess up the line even unfrosted you can hardly see a difference, once it is frosted (and covered in sugarpaste), you cannot say if a cake is torted and filled or solid. But it is your preference how to do it - there isn't really wrong way to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%