Are Buttercream Cakes Going The Way Of The Dinosaurs?

Lounge By MissCathcart Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm by MissCathcart

MissCathcart Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 23

It seems like all the cake competitions & TV shows, feature only Fondant Cakes. Buttercream is vaguely brought up as a cake covering before the fondant. No one wants to watch beautiful piping, or stringwork. Whatever happened to the romantic cake?

Fondant cake decorating is the new scrapbooking. More gagets. Follow the money.

Oh well. It's hard to go with the flow, since I'm a dinosaur myself.

22 replies
jammjenks Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 23

Well, I'm hardly a dinosaur (jsut turned 30), but I love buttercream cakes. I can't tell you the last time I covered a cake in fondant. I still love the romantic cakes. Even the fondant-only decorators can still appreciate the work and talent that goes into all that smoothing and piping.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 23

Not in the real world are buttercream cakes dinosaurs. I'd dare say more Americans order and eat more buttercream cake than fondanted cake.

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 23

I've read many threads on here that talk about the hot lights on a studio and how BC doesn't hold up in that kind of heat, so that's one of the many reasons you see fondant on tv more than BC.

But as K8 says, "in the real world", BC cakes are holding up just fine. All of my brides want BC. A few flat out tell me "no way do I want that fondant stuff!", at which point I give them a taste of Satin Ice and Chocopan to show them that what they've heard is not particularly true (because most DO admit they've never tasted it!).

And the Wilton books show more fondant cakes because they want you to buy their fondant.

nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 23

you know I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.

a good point about the heat of the lights and the BC but I was thinking that I'd love to see an all Buttercream challange..........

I bet there are a lot of those designers couldn't do it

lardbutt Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 23

I have never had anyone order a fondant covered cake. As a matter of fact, I've had a few specificly ask for no fonant at all! I can't imagine anyone in my area willing to pay for a fondant cake.

Shelle_75 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

a good point about the heat of the lights and the BC but I was thinking that I'd love to see an all Buttercream challange..........

Me too!

KathysCC Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 23

I was just flipping through my Wilton Yearbooks from the 80's and 90's and just marveling over some of the buttercream work on those cakes.

I had the overwhelming urge to leave fondant behind as well as all those little figures and cutesy fondant cut-outs and make one of those completely buttercream cakes with Lambeth-like borders and buttercream swirls and dots.

I love buttercream cakes, they ARE romantic and beautiful!

nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #9 of 23

Kathy, If you do that please post a pic icon_biggrin.gif

I love, love beautiful stringwork and you just don't see it much

JGMB Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 23

On tonight's Ultimate Cake Challenge on TLC, they made all 3 decorators do a "mini-challenge" of decorating a small cake completely in buttercream. Unfortunately, they didn't give the viewers a long enough look at the finished products IMHO. I was glad to see some buttercream work on TV, though! thumbs_up.gif

nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #11 of 23

I was watching that too.

Pat did an amazing job on such short notice and I couldn't believe that one woman did a basket weave free hand......

JGMB Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 23
Quote:

I couldn't believe that one woman did a basket weave free hand......

I don't understand what that means, and one of the judges said the same thing. There must be a trick to basketweave that I don't know about, because I thought "freehand" was the only way to do it. Please enlighten me! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

I couldn't believe that one woman did a basket weave free hand......

I don't understand what that means, and one of the judges said the same thing. There must be a trick to basketweave that I don't know about, because I thought "freehand" was the only way to do it. Please enlighten me! icon_smile.gif

me, too. icon_confused.gif I didn't even know it was called 'freehand' because i thought that was just how it was done.

KathysCC Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:07am
post #15 of 23

I saw it too. Pat did a wonderful job. Her cake was what I pictured in my head when they announced the buttercream challenge. She did flawless buttercream work.

Freehand basketweave is all I've ever done too. Don't know what other method there is. Guess we are more talented than we thought... icon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:55am
post #16 of 23

Found this how-to on basket weave that uses little b/c "dashes" to mark the rows and columns:

http://www.creative-cake-decorating.com/basket-weave.html

HTH

nannie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #17 of 23

I was taught to carefully mark off and measure the lines first so it comes out even.

Of course even doing that, mine was still a mess icon_cry.gif

She just eyeballed it...................

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 23

I always thought everyone eye-balled basketweave as well. Buttercream is definetly not out. Everyone rather eat a buttercream cake, then a fondant cake.

yellobutterfly Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 23

My very favorite buttercream decorators:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-jenncowin.html

also

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-bakermomof2.html

I just love their styles - so artsy and creative and CUTE!

Edited to add - in the 6 yrs. since I discovered decorating, I've only had 2 people request fondant - and only one went thru with fondant! (the one called "white wedding")

MissCathcart Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #20 of 23

I just found this video on YouTube. A bakery making tons of cakes, and I didn't see a bit of fondant. Or I just missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtzsTCQbEc&feature=related

nannie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #21 of 23

love how she teaches the bc roses. I never could do those

adree313 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #22 of 23

honestly, i don't mind the taste of fondant, but it's the texture that gets me. i think that's what gets a lot of people -- the chewy texture compare to the cakey texture. it doesn't mesh well with me. don't get me wrong though, i LOVE me a good fondant and/or gumpaste figure, but as a base, buttercream all the way. i'm just venturing into piping and i'm in love with the all the wonderful things that you can do with it.

sure, fondant has a pretty finish, but if you work hard enough, so can buttercream -- without the weird texture to boot!

MissCathcart Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

nannie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
love how she teaches the bc roses. I never could do those

The demonstration for the rose made on a stick was very good. I've always thought the rose nail way had too much icing for the base. There's even a YouTube video that shows how to make baby roses on a toothpick. They're darling. They are my Holy Grail of cake decorating. Everything else comes easily for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%