Ok, So I'm Putting It Out There...

Business By Jessica1817 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm by sugarcheryl

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 22

I've revamped my site to include a $0.50p/serving increase in tiered cake prices. I think my pricing page was too wordy before, as I constantly had customers asking for my prices after they had been to my site! I am a total amateur at anything related to technology, so feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to make my sight very user friendly icon_biggrin.gif

www.mycakedelights.com

Thanks!!

21 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 22

I think your pricing is clear, but don't count on people not calling and asking,"So what are your prices"?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 22

I just checked out your site, and your cakes are beautiful! Here are some things I noticed about the site itself:

1. The background site colors work well I think. They are pretty, cool, and calming. The site is clean and nice to look at.

2. I really like the size you've chosen for the thumbnail images of the cakes. Something that has frustrated me on multiple cake sites is that the thumbnails are so tiny, I can't really tell what the cake looks like. But, I don't want to click on it because it takes forever to load. I like the size of yours because I have a pretty good idea of what the cake is before I click on it for a better view.

3. The "Flavors/Pricing" page feels jumbled/hard to look at. I think it is due to the headings being bolded, underlined, and ending with a colon. It's like font heading overkill. icon_smile.gif I'd probably get rid of the underlining on everything, but especially on the cake flavors.

Great job on the site! Good luck!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 22

I love your site. Very easy to get around. Colors good. I have no problem with your flavors page. What software did you use to create the website?

PinkLisa Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 22

I like your font on the pricing/favors page. Which one is that? I was instructed to use a "common" font since if the viewers computer doesn't have that font it will come up as "who knows what". But I view your font clearly and would want to use a similar one on my website.

Jessica1817 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 22

Thanks for the responses! I use Yahoo SiteBuilder, pretty easy to use. Monotype Corsiva is the font.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 22

I think your site looks and reads great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #8 of 22

Question on your pricing logic.

Let's use this cake as an example: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415413

In the photo, it's a wedding cake. But take the bride and groom off and it's a "party" cake for an M&M lover. Let's assume I've figured out how to get a cheaper wedding cake from you and just order this cake ... one 10" and two 12". FOr a "birthday" party. Under your pricing, the "party price is $175.

If I ordered this as a wedding cake, the price would be 38+56+56 servings = 150 servings x $3.50/serving = $525.

What's your logic? ANd how do you balance doing the same work for $350 LESS money?

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 22

Ok...since I do some page work myself...let me bring up a few points.

1: Your index.html text is a bit tough to read. I would try for something around an ivory color, maybe try FFFFCC.

2: On the weddings 1 page, the "wedding cakes" bar is to large..and there is a phantom bar behind it. Its a bit distracting. I notice this bar moves around as you go through your picture pages. Try and make them all the same size so you cant see them moving around.

3: I would have your pictures open a new window, so as to keep your visitors on your page. Try this out

<A HREF="http://www.site.com/pic.jpg" target="_blank">
Link</A>

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #10 of 22

i agree with the other posts, however, when i try to view the flavors/pricing page below "cookies and cream" there is text on top of text for about four lines??? is this happening to anyone else? btw your cakes are all gorgeous!!

PinkLisa Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 22

I don't see the text on top of text in the "cookies and cream" section or the phantom text in the Weddings 1 page.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #12 of 22

Your cakes are very beautiful! I love the first picture on your homepage of the bride and groom with the cake.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I don't see the text on top of text in the "cookies and cream" section or the phantom text in the Weddings 1 page.

how odd icon_confused.gif i can barely make out something like spiced carrot with special fillings written on top of it then several more lines like that and then there's a blue line cutting through the middle of the sentence about adding crushed oreos.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i agree with the other posts, however, when i try to view the flavors/pricing page below "cookies and cream" there is text on top of text for about four lines??? is this happening to anyone else? btw your cakes are all gorgeous!!

i'm getting the text on top of text stuff

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:09am
post #15 of 22

I didn't have any issues viewing the site either - very easy to read/navigate, very clean and easy on the eyes. I do agree with removing the underline on the cake flavors....other then that - your cakes are gorgeous!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Me neither.......your pages are perfectly clear and as they should be on my computer. Maybe the settings need to be changed on the computers that are getting the text over text and shadowing....... icon_confused.gif

Your website look great! I think you have done a very nice job putting it together. Everything is clear and easy to understand, very user friendly IMO. Your cakes are beautiful too! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #17 of 22

Grammar mamma at work. icon_smile.gif
No ' in lovers in the Cosmopolitan description.

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #18 of 22

Your cakes are gorgeous! The site is very clean and user friendly. My only constructive criticism would be to change the home page text color. It blends in with the background a bit.

Jessica1817 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #19 of 22

Thanks so much for everyone's replies!! I'm making changes thumbs_up.gif

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #20 of 22

I don't know if you've already cleaned it up some, but I think it looks great! I would just suggest a little re-wording.

*Add crushed Oreo's or coconut to buttercream filling
I would just list this as cookies and cream and coconut buttercream (maybe you can think of a more creative name for that one)

*Buttercream can also be flavored (key lime, etc.)
endless flavors of buttercream available (key lime, whatever, etc)

now this is just nit-picky:
Double Chocolate Fudge: For the chocolate lovers; rich chocolate cake with mini choc chips

I would shorten it to keep it on one line like most of the others, I think the carrot cake needs the whole description but maybe you could switch it with pumpkin spice, just for a more uniform look.

With that said, you did a much better job than I could!

thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #21 of 22

Beautiful cakes. Nicely done, clean pages on your site. Easy to navigate.
My only suggestion, and this is coming from a personal pet peeve, is to simplify the font on your pricing/flavors page. Slanting, curvy, italicized writing is sometimes hard to read.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #22 of 22

Yes your cakes are beautiful and you already know what changes to make but a great start. Wish you the best on biz. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%