Buttercream Icing

Decorating By d5aces Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 2:16am by KarolynAndrea

d5aces Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi There,

I would like to learn how I can make edges of a buttercream icing round. Do I need a special tool to do this.

Please help.

Thanks

agnes

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 8

If it's a crusting, you can get it close enough, then use Viva paper towels to smooth over it, over the edges, until it is rounded. Want it to look like fondant?

Funny ain't it? Want our BC to look like fondant, and our fondant to have crisp edges like a sharp BC cake....lol!

tonimarie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 8

I have learned so much from watching sugarshacks videos check out her website http://www.sugaredproductions.com

d5aces Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 8

what if it is not crusting? I usually use italian buttercream.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

I have learned so much from watching sugarshacks videos check out her website http://www.sugaredproductions.com

Yes and she really teaches you how to put a sharp edge on your cake. I believe the OP is looking for a rounded edge. Correct me if I'm wrong!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 8

I tend to use SMBC (yay meringue!), but I have spun my cake around on the turntable after chilling to very firm, and smoothed it round with a hot spatula. Worked pretty well!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by d5aces

what if it is not crusting? I usually use italian buttercream.

You can cut a piece of plastic out of a 2 liter soda bottle about 2 inches wind and 4 inches long from the are of the bottle where it curves into the neck....the piece of plastic will then had a natural curve bent in. Hold it in your hand and bend it to the angle you want and hold it against the top edge as you spin your turn table. It also helps to slightly round the top edge of the cake by trimming off about 1/4 inch before icing it.

KarolynAndrea Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 8

I ordered the DVD called Perfecting the Art of Buttercream by Sharon Zambito. That has helped me immensely, she has great techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%