If You Paint On Fondant...

Decorating By mackeymom Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm by GenGen

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 7

If you free hand paint on fondant, do you diluate the color your painting with? Or do you paint with color right out of the bottle?

I have free hand painted before, but was always on dummies. Well, now I am making cupcakes that someone is actually going to eat, and I don't want to turn there mouths black! icon_lol.gif

6 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

mackeymom -

LOVE your avatar!!!! Just made my annual trip to the Gorge in WA to see DMB.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 7

I mix my color with a little vodka, it makes it dry faster. I find if I just use the color alone, it doesn't dry as well. HTH

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

I love painting on cookies covered in fondant! Be sure and let the fondant dry good to the touch. I use Americolor gels straight out of the bottle. I have experimented diluting with vodka and much prefer using straight colors. I have a few pictures of painted cookies in my photos if you want to see what straight gels looks like on fondant. icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 7

will this work with the color black? i've tried painting with just straight color from the jar on fondant but it always bled after a while. (ps i don't have americolor Yet.. just wilton)

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156764

You can see the eye and wings on these Turkey cookies are painted with straight black, no bleeding. I made several dozen cookies with black on them somewhere or another without bleeding. Be sure and let your fondant dry good before you start painting and try not to use more black paint than necessary. HTH's icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

ah i think the drying thing was it. this was on the "box of donuts" cake in my photos. i have minor expierence with mmf and thought making the caution tape the night before was a smart idea as well as painting the text on it

Wrong lol.. it broke and bled (ouch?) lol.. ah well live and learn, my FIL and all his employees just Loved it anyways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%