Bugger! I Just Read My First Really Negative Review.

Business By bakery_chick Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm by adven68

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 35

I was googling catering companies in my area and noticed that I had a review listed under my business name. It was bad---very bad, and probably a very legitimate mistake on my part. Some one called when I was way too busy, I took her number, then forgot to call her back apparently. She said, "The lady who answered the phone was rude, hurried and made me feel as though I was bothering her and she did not have time for me."
Things get so hectic on Saturdays and Sundays before a wedding delivery if anyone calls, I know I am not as polite as I should be. The review goes on from there. I am sorry that she had a bad experience. I am very sorry she didn't give me a chance to make it up. I have no idea who wrote the review it was anonymous.

34 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 35

I feel sorry for you. I'm also in the process of looking for a caterer and have the good sense not to call on a Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. I figure they are in full prep mode on Friday, working an event on Saturday, and Sunday must be their day off. Why the heck would she call on any of those days and think you have time to shmooze & chat her up. I don't know if you were rushed or not, but I feel some people think the world revolves around them.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 35

A perfect reason to let the call go to voicemail or answering machine. That way the customer can hear your friendly, pre-recorded voice. Just because you are "technically" there, it doesn't mean you HAVE to answer the phone. If you aren't mentally available when the phone rings, you can call back a little later, when you're not worried about your buttercream crusting prematurely while you listen to someone on the other end of the line! icon_lol.gif The customers want the "happy you," not the "distracted you." icon_smile.gif

Brush yourself off, you'll do better next time!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 35

Not only does Springflour have the perfect solution, it's easy. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I feel sorry for you. I'm also in the process of looking for a caterer and have the good sense not to call on a Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. I figure they are in full prep mode on Friday, working an event on Saturday, and Sunday must be their day off. Why the heck would she call on any of those days and think you have time to shmooze & chat her up. I don't know if you were rushed or not, but I feel some people think the world revolves around them.

I think people dont understand this..They have no idea how busy it can get by the end of the week. Sometimes they think that there is someone dedicated to answer the phone calls. So I cant say is her fault since people that dont work in catering dont know how things are run.

I feel bad that this happened. Nobody likes a bad review. But is a learning experience. Is like the first time you have a cake crash!..You wanna die!
Then you move on and learn to deal with things in a better way.
Wish you best of luck. One bad review can be reverse by a lot of good reviews..

Hope everything gets better
Edna

msbask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbask Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 35
Quote:

I probably have NEVER thought about a company's internal schedule when calling to ask a question about buying their product. How presumptuous do you have to be to expect people to know when YOUR business is busy and when it's not?

Also, the OP never indicated that her prospective customer wanted her to "shmooze & chat her up". Why would you ascribe those traits to a customer when the OP didn't?

I think the suggestion to use voicemail is a good solution. If you're too busy to answer the phone, then DON'T answer the phone. There's no excuse to be short, rude or hurried with a customer who was calling about giving YOU business.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbask

Quote:

I probably have NEVER thought about a company's internal schedule when calling to ask a question about buying their product. How presumptuous do you have to be to expect people to know when YOUR business is busy and when it's not?

Also, the OP never indicated that her prospective customer wanted her to "shmooze & chat her up". Why would you ascribe those traits to a customer when the OP didn't?

I think the suggestion to use voicemail is a good solution. If you're too busy to answer the phone, then DON'T answer the phone. There's no excuse to be short, rude or hurried with a customer who was calling about giving YOU business.

I think in general certain businesses have certain business hours and conduct business at certain times. For example you don't make a dentist appointment for Sunday. And most catering companies, they are catering on weekends. How often do weddings happen on a Wednesday? To me it's common sense that most of their work happens on weekends. Then again they do say common sense isn't too common.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 35

Personally, I have given forethought to the timing of my call to a variety of businesses. I try to avoid calling at busy times.
I don't think it is totally presumptuous but unlikely since most folks don't think like that.

I am a big fan of voicemail. I often don't answer my phone. If they leave a message fine, if not oh well. I have returned calls less than 30 minutes later to be told they called someone else. I have learned to say oh well to that too.

Sorry, they left you a bad review. It really wasn't called for IMO.
Just brush it off and keep going. It is hard but really all that you can do. Sending you hugs!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 35
Quote:

Ding Ding Ding! Thank God for voicemail. I rarely ever answer the phone period. I'm thinking of amending my message to say something like "If you are calling for pricing, please see my website. If you are calling to see if your date ia available, please check my calendar....on my website. Probably too much to say, BUt I would love to! icon_lol.gif

bakery_chick Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 35

Thank you guys for the support and the hugs! I needed that!!! I do know better than to answer the phone when I am like that--just habit. I am going to rerecord my voice message and start putting it to better work. Thanks for the advice!

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 35

And, you should have every single review site out there bookmarked and be checking it regularly. I spend an obnoxious amount of time each week scanning the internet. I use different computers to do searches to move my site higher up in results when searches are done, I change keywords and metatags.....whatever it takes to get the other guys further down the list when someone goes looking for a decorator! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I'm thinking of amending my message to say something like "If you are calling for pricing, please see my website. If you are calling to see if your date ia available, please check my calendar....on my website. Probably too much to say, BUt I would love to! icon_lol.gif

"As a matter of fact, everything you need to know is on my website so why the hell are you even calling me? Need an appt? Email me. I can't even figure out why we HAVE phones anymore. I hate phones. That's why you have my voicemail. Because I don't want to talk to you. And another thing ......... (beeeeeeeeep!)"

(That probably wouldn't do much for business, though! icon_rolleyes.gif )

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 35

Oh, I'm terribly sorry to hear about this!!! icon_sad.gif

As the saying goes, 1st impressions are often the lasting ones, especially with businesses. As a business owner (not a bakery), I say defintely do the voice message recording for when you're really busy. You can even say that in your message, that you are working on a current client's event and that their call is extremely important and will be returned. If you can put a time frame when the customer can expect a call back that would probably help, too (as long as you can get back to them within that stated period).

At the minimum, I think most potential customers expect to feel like their call to you is important. So whatever you can do to put that smile in your voice will greatly help you get those jobs even when you're extremely busy.

Wishing you the best of luck, continued success, and POSITIVE reviews! thumbs_up.gif

(((((BIG HUG)))))

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I'm thinking of amending my message to say something like "If you are calling for pricing, please see my website. If you are calling to see if your date ia available, please check my calendar....on my website. Probably too much to say, BUt I would love to! icon_lol.gif

"As a matter of fact, everything you need to know is on my website so why the hell are you even calling me? Need an appt? Email me. I can't even figure out why we HAVE phones anymore. I hate phones. That's why you have my voicemail. Because I don't want to talk to you. And another thing ......... (beeeeeeeeep!)"

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Tooooo funny!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 35

You might try contacting the website to see if you can post a rebuttal.

As the others say, let them leave a message.

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 35

sorry you read a bad review *hug*

also, if you do regularly check for reviews. There are some internet folks that go out there and leave very bad reviews on purpose. in this case it sounds like you remember the instance and it's not a false claim. but if you do find a false claim you should contact that website and tell them immediately what action you would like taken. Your business and reputation is on the line here!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 35

I'm so sorry to hear about your review. I know that if I call a business and I don't feel like I'm their top priority in that moment (only the moment they're talking to me!) then I feel disappointed in the company as a whole. Self centered? Oh yeah! But that's why they call it the 'service industry'. All this is not to slag you and it definitely would have been nice for her to complain to your face so you could have a chance to make it up. Big hugs, because your stomach probably dropped to your feet when you read that. And here's to learning experiences: they usually suck but they help us grow.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:03am
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ... icon_cry.gif i think i almost peed in my pants laughing tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #19 of 35

I very seldom answer the phone if it rings while I'm doing a cake. My phone message is short and to the point.

Hi, youv'e reached the home of Cakes For All Occasions. If you would like to leave a message for Bev, please do so after the beep. If you are checking on date availability, you may do so on our web site cakesforalloccasions.org. Thanks for calling and have a great day.

Most people go to the web site and send a message from our contact us page with their cake request.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #20 of 35
Quote:

[ How often do weddings happen on a Wednesday? .

I had a Wednesday Wedding last Wednesday - thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
they wanted to be married on the 9.9.2009.
Bluehue.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:04am
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

I very seldom answer the phone if it rings while I'm doing a cake. My phone message is short and to the point.

Hi, youv'e reached the home of Cakes For All Occasions. If you would like to leave a message for Bev, please do so after the beep. If you are checking on date availability, you may do so on our web site cakesforalloccasions.org. Thanks for calling and have a great day.

Most people go to the web site and send a message from our contact us page with their cake request.

Exactly. I'm such a doof, I Google the phone number....usually comes up local. 5 to 10 minutes later....you've got mail! icon_biggrin.gif

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:42am
post #22 of 35

Well I just googled to find your posting and it looks like you have two really good reviews and a response to your negative one. Maybe if you have some loyal customers you could have them leave a response to boost your ratings. Blow it off, lesson learned, use your answering machine and move on. You offer a lot on your website and it looks great.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:30am
post #23 of 35

à had a whole pile of weddings on wednesday last week.... 9-9-9 ya know. (and they all thought that they were just soooooo original...)

bakery_chick Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 35

Just a little update....
I was obsessing too much yesterday over the review so I just let it go and didn't get back online. When I came online today, I had a private message from one of our fabulous CCers that actually took the time to make a comment to the bad reviewer, and I got two other very positive reviews. One I know for sure is from one of my husband's best friends, but an unknown client won't know that. I feel pretty darn lucky to have people like this to support me.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #25 of 35

I certainly agree that a rebuttal would be a great idea, especially if you are trying to build a business. Rather than make excuses, though, I think just saying I was busy and not thinking, or something like that, would be best. Maybe a bit of an apology, along with a guarantee to those reading that this will not happen to them. Then, get the answering machine (a great suggestion), and set about presenting the best you that you can be!

I am sure your work is fantastic, and that you have many happy customers, so maybe you can have someone post a great review for you.

While this probably cut into your heart when you read it, it is not the end of the world, and you will grow and learn from everything people say...good and bad! Good luck!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #26 of 35

sounds like you are doing better!

as far as blaming the women for calling on the weekend, that's just silly. most people don't sit there and think to themselves "hmmm, wonder if this is a good time to call"??? i know i don't...

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #27 of 35

On one hand I understand, but at the same time I think it's unfair that she could leave a review when she didn't try your product. It's like refusing to stay in a hotel because the doorman didn't smile when he opened the door...

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #28 of 35
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbask

Quote:

I think in general certain businesses have certain business hours and conduct business at certain times. For example you don't make a dentist appointment for Sunday. And most catering companies, they are catering on weekends. How often do weddings happen on a Wednesday? To me it's common sense that most of their work happens on weekends. Then again they do say common sense isn't too common.

I agree most people lack common sense when it comes to this type of stuff (or anything). I always think beofre I call, which probably comes form working in the service industry for a few years.

I'm glad you have good reviews now that will help with future clients.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #29 of 35

OK-not to completely hijack, but does anyone have a really good voicemail message that doesn't totally insult the customer, and gets the job done? I am tired of picking up the phone when I'm spending time with my 2yr old, but I don't know exactly what to put on my message to encourage them to go online- many clients still want to talk to a real person, you know? I can never come up with a good succinct message!

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #30 of 35

I'm thinking of changing mine to "Hi and thanks for calling so and so. We are working on ourlatest fabulous creation and can't come to the phone at the moment. Please leave a voicemail and we will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, please visit us on the web at www.whatever, and feel free to shoot us an email with any questions you may have. Have a nice day, yada yada yada." Not literally the yada yada yada, but you get it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%