Scalloped Edge On Fondant Top

Decorating By BCo Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 3:47am by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hope this makes sense. I need to make a scalloped edge on a fondant overlay on top of a cake. So the cake will be iced in buttercream and then the fondant circle with a scalloped edge will be placed on top going down over the edges about 1 1/2 inches or so. I'm assuming that you would do this before you put it on the cake but I was wondering if it would stretch and get misshapened when I'm smoothing it over the edges?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Brandie

8 replies
gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 9

I'm doing the same thing for a cake but it will be over fondant and not buttercream.

It is to look kind of like a Hankie or a tablecloth overlay.

I've been told to put the fondant on top than use my method to do the edging. I'm using the crimper to get a scalloped edge.

It will be similar to the pic.
LL

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have the answer for you, except to say that I actually saw a cake this morning on the home page of photos that had the kind of scalloped edge you are talking about. I opened it and was wondering myself how they achieved that look. I tried scanning the photos now for you, but I don't see it. I don't know how to search for it, but I think it was a shade of very light blue (?). IF you can find that photo, you could PM the creator, and hopefully they'll get your message & get back to you. HTH!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 9

I did a scallop overlay on a buttercream cake. It did try to stretch somewhat. I think if it were rolled just a little thicker than what I did it would have been less likely to stretch.

You can see it in my photos. Alicia baby shower.

Another thing...I did not want mine an even scallop. More random sizing.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 9

I want to know too!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

I did this just a coupleof months ago. I rolled the fondant not too thin, cut out the scallops, then placed on the cake. I did not moisten the top of the cake so that I could readily slide the fondant around for placement. Once in place, I lifted the edges and moistened a little under it. Of course, on BC you probably can't slide the fondant anyway.

I had no trouble at all with stretching. I used MFF, which I much prefer over ready-made.

After placing the overlay, I added the ruffles and ropes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417453

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

When I did my scalloped overlay I actually placed in on the cake first and then used a garland marker and cutting wheel to cut of the excess. That was fondant on fondant though. You'd probably have to be impossible genlte over buttercream.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 9

I've done it a few times and I find it easier (less stretching) if I cut the fondant while it is on the cake.

First I frost the cake , smooth it and then chill it at least 3 hours, the longer the better, you want the butter cream to be hard and not sticky or wet.

Then roll out your fondant and working quickly place it on the cake, smooth down the sides just as if you were covering the whole cake with fondant, but don't go all the way to the bottom, just far enough for you to cut the scallops.

Then using a sharp knife (I use an Xacto knife) cut your scallops.
You could pre-cut a stencil from poster board and use it as a guide but I always just eyeball it.

Then remove the excess fondant and smooth the fondant down if any of it got pulled away.

If you work fast enough and your butter cream was cold enough there won't be any marks left from extra fondant.

I added some other decorations to cover the edge (drapes, pearls etc.),but it could be left plain.

Here's a couple of cakes I did this way.
Hope that helps.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1461264
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1364461
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1335245
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1364458

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 9

Awesome- thank you so much...I had planned on getting it nice and chilled so I'm glad I was on the right track with that!! I was thinking fast fast fast would be the key to getting it onto the buttercream cake before it started to get damp from the condensation!

Thanks again everyone - I may use a template b/c I'm sure I would never get it to match up by just eyeballing it - I'm just not that good! LOL

Brandie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%