Looking For Tips - 3D Cake Of Boston

Decorating By Anseis Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm by Anseis

Anseis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anseis Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

I am getting ready for my son's first birthday party next month. It is a Godzilla themed party (it's his nickname). For his cake, i wanted to make it in the shape of Boston so he can destroy it like Godzilla would. icon_smile.gif

I've never done ANYTHING like this and was looking for some advice.

I don't want the cake to be too big, it needs to fit in front of him on his high chair, but I also figure it should be easier to do if smaller. I want to make a few of the bigger landmark buildings so you can tell it is Boston, as well as something that resembles the new bridge they added a few years ago.

My plan was to make smaller cake cubes that could support the taller buildings. i figure the smaller ones can be made to look like streets & grass.

I want to avoid putting anything in the cake that he can't eat. What is a good way to support that is edible? I was thinking graham crackers possibly. Is there a certain cake style that is better or sturdier for something like this? Low sugar a possiblity?

What is a good frosting for this type of cake? I have no experience using fondant, i don't think a ton of detail would be necessary.

I plan on doing a trial cake by the end of September to see how it goes. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

thanks!

4 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

you could do a portion of the city as cake and the rest rice krispy treats.

If you want the bridge, then maybe do the bunker Hill Monument, the Garden, and the Custom House (clock tower) building or old north church? just put the river and streets as the base, not factual city scape but recognizable for sure.

edible items that may be used for structure:
spaghetti
pretzel rods

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 5

You can maybe try part cake for smaller buildings and gingerbread buildings for bigger ones.You just do the cutouts and use royal icing. I think it would add different textures and you wouldn't have to worry about support. Good luck! Also try marsh mellow fondant, so easy to make and you can do soooo many fun details with it. Search the recipes for it. Once you try it you will be hooked icon_wink.gif

Anseis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

you could do a portion of the city as cake and the rest rice krispy treats.

If you want the bridge, then maybe do the bunker Hill Monument, the Garden, and the Custom House (clock tower) building or old north church? just put the river and streets as the base, not factual city scape but recognizable for sure.

edible items that may be used for structure:
spaghetti
pretzel rods

i want to do the customs house, bridge, prudential, john hancock and the capital, maybe a row of brownstones...

the biggest issue is that my son will only be turning 1 so it's gotta be easy for him to eat. Thanks for the ideas icon_smile.gif

Anseis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyjade

You can maybe try part cake for smaller buildings and gingerbread buildings for bigger ones.You just do the cutouts and use royal icing. I think it would add different textures and you wouldn't have to worry about support. Good luck! Also try marsh mellow fondant, so easy to make and you can do soooo many fun details with it. Search the recipes for it. Once you try it you will be hooked icon_wink.gif

hmm, gingerbread, i didn't think of that. I'll check out the marshmellow fondant too thanks!

i was thinking of maybe trying a spongy kind of cake instead of a crumbly kind, if that makes sense...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%