Can I Do This??

Decorating By TxBitty Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm by TxBitty

TxBitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBitty Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a Texas Hold'em themed cake for Saturday, and there will be at least 100 guests! icon_eek.gif I want to make something similar to this
but obviously a 12-inch hexagon will not be enough. I want to stack it on top of my 12x18 sheet, but wanted to use some 7" pillars I have...will that work??

I'm so nervous about making this cake -- it's for a really big deal, my mother-in-law's 20 year anniversary as an owner-operator of a major restaurant chain! There will be family coming in from out of town, as well as a lot of "high-rollers" from the corporation! I sooo don't want to mess this up! icon_redface.gif

Or would it be best to just set the poker table on top of the sheet? Only problem with that is, the poker table will be the same width (12") as the sheet...would that look ok? Only other thing I thought I could do was to sit it on top of a 16" square cake -- but I'd need to buy a pan that size ASAP.

Sorry for rambling, and TIA!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 7

If you have an 8" square, four of those would equal your 16" pan.

You could also make cupcakes with green swirls and poker chips to make up the rest of the servings.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #3 of 7

wish I had some advice, for you, but good luck and hopefully someone else will have some

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

Could you maybe do the lower tier in a hardwood or black/white tile? To look like the floor that the poker table is sitting on? I LOVE the poker chip cupcake idea!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

For your serving needs, you'd actually be better off doing a 15" hexagon on top of the 16" square (or four 8" squares placed together and iced as a 16" square). Because the "table" is one layer of cake and then the base would also be one layer of cake.

That way the bottom cake is slightly bigger, but not enough to take attention away from the table part. You could even use the front side of the base to put a message on it for the birthday or whatever event they are having.

Good luck!

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

I like the idea of making the base be the "floor" of the poker table....also, this may be too much work but what about making the cards into mini cakes?

TxBitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBitty Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

Oooooh, I love these ideas! Thank you all soo much! thumbs_up.gif

I never even considered doing 4 of the 8" pans! icon_redface.gif

And I really love the floor idea, too!

The cupcake idea, too -- I had thought about that but wasn't sure what to do.

Y'all are the BEST!

Do you think that the 7" pillars are too high? And, I've never used them before...any tips??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%