Sunk Like A Rock!!!!

Baking By charliecakes Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm by JodieF

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

Ladies, i need your help. Here is the most delicious pound cake recipe i found here on this site from JodieF. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6809/cream-cheese-pound-cake. The most delicious cake i have ever had.

I have one big problem. this cake bakes perfectly in a 10 cup bundt pan. But when i try in a regular layer cake pan, like a 10 or 12 two inch deep pan, it sinks in the middle. I mean it really!!!! really !!!! really !!!! sinks in the middle. It looks perfect in the oven for a while and then each time as i look through the oven window, it fails once again. I am using a heating core and the bake even strips.

Can anyone figure out what is going on?

4 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

I think it must be something with the cream cheese. My grandmother's recipe is almost identical with the exception of the cream cheese. She also uses 7 eggs. I have baked the cake several times in a 9 inch round and never have any issues.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 5

After reading the instructions it does call for a tube pan. I know there is a reason for it but I cannot think of it at the moment. Maybe you can PM the owner of the recipe to find out?? In the meantime, I know I have the reason at home as I actually just read a recipe that required a tube pan. I will get back to you. Also, hopefully someone will join in who knows the reason. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecakes

Ladies, i need your help. Here is the most delicious pound cake recipe i found here on this site from JodieF. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6809/cream-cheese-pound-cake. The most delicious cake i have ever had.

I have one big problem. this cake bakes perfectly in a 10 cup bundt pan. But when i try in a regular layer cake pan, like a 10 or 12 two inch deep pan, it sinks in the middle. I mean it really!!!! really !!!! really !!!! sinks in the middle. It looks perfect in the oven for a while and then each time as i look through the oven window, it fails once again. I am using a heating core and the bake even strips.

Can anyone figure out what is going on?

I've used that recipe for years. I add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder to my flour. The heavy weight of the batter is hard to support near the center without a bit of leavening.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 5

Jan directed me to this post! I'm so glad you like that recipe. I've baked it for years too. It was one my grandmother loved.
Anyway, yes, I have added a bit of baking powder if I've baked it in another pan.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%