This Is Why You Should Be Very Specific...

Decorating By Clovers Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 5:45am by 7yyrt

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #31 of 86

Hey, don't apologize, I think it's pretty hilarious too! I mean, there was some SERIOUS lacking of common sense. And to make it even better:

The following text message conversation just happened:

Me (to my sister): Soooo who did the cake cutting?!
Her: The bride. And I wasn't going to argue with her! LOL
Me: Does she know how lucky she is that the whole thing didn't fall apart!?
Her: .....*silence*

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #32 of 86

I didn't cut this cake but I'm not much better. icon_redface.gif Honestly, I can't cut cake worth a darn.

Many years ago, I had to cut the cake at a wedding. It was for 300 people and I was by myself. I had 1 big honkin' knife, no napkins to wipe the blade and I had no idea how to cut a 12" round cake. Let me tell you, I had cake everywhere! Thankfully, they were all satellite cakes and no tiers to deal with. That was probably 20 years ago and I still hate to cut cakes. icon_cry.gif I have pity for this poor person.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #33 of 86

Hate to change the subject but just realized that was my 1000th post and I'm a forum fanatic now! Woohoo!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #34 of 86

OMG!! I am teaching how to construct a stacked cake tomorrow & I always stress the importance of being able to de-contruct so you can cut pretty servings!! The photos made me laugh-thanks for that it's been a rough day at work icon_biggrin.gif

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I had a wedding cake tasting this weekend, and I'm wondering if their cake won't end up looking like that...
Bride: So we're going to have [groom's sister] cut the cake, right?
Groom: Yeeeeaaaaahhhh... She did say she wanted to help... (to me) Um, is there some kind of cake cutter grid that you can just push down over the cake to cut even pieces?

icon_lol.gif

Though that would be a good invention for situations like this! icon_biggrin.gif

They do sell something for that! http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/pdf_catalog/Cake-store.pdf at country kitchen sweet art. it's called K&S Cake Press Cake Dividers. They have different sizes 9x13 pan, half sheet cake, (both 2" squares) and a generic 1x2 that says it can be used on 'various wedding cake shapes and sizes' it doesn't cut it all the way down, but makes an impression for where to cut!

Remembered seeing that and thought I'd share! Someone's already taken that ideaicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:00pm
post #36 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Hate to change the subject but just realized that was my 1000th post and I'm a forum fanatic now! Woohoo!

(to the tune of Happy Birthday):

party.gif Congratulations to you
Congratulations to you
Congratulations dear Tracy!
Congratulations to you!

--------------------------------------------
To all who are nervous or don't know how to cut a cake (and my mom finger goes out to those people! You can't be a cake maker and not know how to cut your own cake! Git over here so I can smack you silly!) .... go to my website and BOOKMARK my page on how to cut a wedding cake. Print out out and give it to every bride.

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #37 of 86

Looks like a great way to torture a poor wedding cake.

Cake torture. That's what it is. icon_biggrin.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #38 of 86

Well, it is cake torture. On the other hand - it was perfectly stacked cake. I didn't know our cakes can withstand such abuse icon_smile.gif

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #39 of 86

Indydebi I must admit i'm like you, cpmpletely self taught...well CC taught. I've never been able to take any classes. I DID learn how to cut cakes from YOUR site! LOL!! Thank you very very much for making it available to us! Before that, all my round cakes were cut like pies! OH boy have I learned a lot from me fellow CC'ers!

As for that cake it looks like my 16 yr old son cut it! After all, he cut his brothers with a straight edge metal cookie lifter while I was still in the pool and they couldn't wait for the cake!! Talk about a mess, a mom having a coniption fit!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #40 of 86

So sadly funny I think I hurt myself laughing! Sorry this happened but what a priceless moment for all of us! Thanks for sharing... now I have to go look again - a "roadkill" cake?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #41 of 86

I don't think they cut it at all. I think everyone grabbed a fork and started eating!

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #42 of 86

icon_eek.gif poor cake icon_sad.gif

Clovers Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #43 of 86

I talked to my sister last night. She said that the guests were getting anxious for cake and didn't want to wait any longer so the bride took it upon herself to cut it. When my sister told her that she had a guide to use the bride ignored her and wanted to do it herself to please the guests and to show my sister she could do it.

errr... okay. Good job, I guess?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #44 of 86

I wonder why she cut one cut into the top teir and then abandoned it for the other teirs...LOL

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #45 of 86

Was this her final "Bridezilla" moment?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by solcito_the_cake_maker

I once made a cake for a little friend: Elmo's head. Her mother successfully managed to get decent slices of cake for each of us, but for some strange reason, she avoided the eyes...

The final result was these two eyeballs, sitting on the cake base, surrounded by crumbs and a girl screaming and crying because her favorite character had been brutally murdered! ...
Thanks for sharing, dkelly!

And i thought the original post was hilairious - but that pales into the night air after reading this - oh god solcito_the_cake_maker this has me in tears of laughter - too funny.

Bluehue runs for another tissue -

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers

I talked to my sister last night. She said that the guests were getting anxious for cake and didn't want to wait any longer so the bride took it upon herself to cut it. When my sister told her that she had a guide to use the bride ignored her and wanted to do it herself to please the guests and to show my sister she could do it.

errr... okay. Good job, I guess?

That's just sad. Control freak?

Clovers Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #48 of 86

"Was this her final "Bridezilla" moment?"

I'd say. When I got the order for the cake my sister said just to do anything I wanted, but that they wanted black red and white. Of COURSE they do!

Then as I planned the cake and told them what I was thinking, they said "oh, she ONLY wants vanilla, absolutely no chocolate anything, no strawberry flavoured anything, she wants round, not square, mostly white, just a touch of black and red roses" Ohhhhhh.. nice of you to tell me that from the start!

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #49 of 86

It actually looks like they took turns taking bites out of it!!!

"I wonder why she cut one cut into the top teir and then abandoned it for the other teirs...LOL"

Maybe during mid-sacrafice she remember the traditional "save the top part of the cake for the first anniversary" thing.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[To all who are nervous or don't know how to cut a cake (and my mom finger goes out to those people! You can't be a cake maker and not know how to cut your own cake! Git over here so I can smack you silly!) .... go to my website and BOOKMARK my page on how to cut a wedding cake. Print out out and give it to every bride.

Debi, I LOVE this method for cutting cake, and it's the only way I'll do it! I hate that concentric circle business Wilton recommends. I watched the caterer cut my daughter's wedding cake that way and was horrified. What a mess. She'd already started, and by that time I was so tired I just let her have at it. I did insist that she use a regular knife instead of a serrated knife.

People are always so impressed when they watch me cut the cake your way. It's just so much easier and neater.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:31pm
post #51 of 86

Ruth, a lady approached me at a wedding after the cake was cut to tell me she was ".....just sitting there watching you cut that cake!" To her, it was great entertainment. She told me, "I told my husband, 'You can tell she's been doing this for awhile!'"

Great compliment!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #52 of 86

People always think it's weird and look at me like I have 5 heads and don't know what I'm doing when I start to cut a cake this way (indydebi method)....until they see the end result then they get it!! icon_smile.gif Makes so much more sense then any other method....I hate to think how other people cut larger round cakes when I'm not there to do it for them! icon_smile.gif I guess I should supply a cutting guide from now on. If it's going to a reception venue then I don't think about it b/c I assume the person in charge of cutting the cake can do it just fine but I don't think about the people who are taking it home with them for a party and what they end up cutting it like! YIKES, I will start this weekend giving out Debi's directions.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:02pm
post #53 of 86

I do an object lesson at church when I am teaching other teachers/missionaries.

I make a small, but beautiful cake and tell everyone I was "just practicing" this week, or if someone in the class has a birthday, I use that as the excuse.

I ask who would like the first piece, or if there is a birthday person, I offer them the first piece, and then proceed to grab (yes, with my bare hands! icon_eek.gif ) a "piece" of the cake, and squeeze in onto a paper plate, and hand it to them. By now I have everyone's attention, and make a big deal that I washed my hands, etc. but no one wants it (duh!)

I then quickly wipe off my hands and cut a piece of cake the proper way (from another part of the cake where no hands have been), and put it on a plate from my good china, and give it to the poor person whom I just embarrassed with the messy piece.

The point of the lesson is, "How are we serving up the gospel?" But it is alot of fun, and a great chance for me to practice! icon_lol.gif

OP's cake reminds me of the spot where I grab the cake with my hands!

Clovers Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #54 of 86

I have a question about Indydebi's guide (yes, I gave them the Wilton one... because my sister's husband is a very smart, directions following sort of man who could have executed it perfectly). What about the end/'corner' pieces that aren't a full piece, do they get both corners to make up the full serving? Or do those pieces go to the 'just a small piece' people?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers

I have a question about Indydebi's guide (yes, I gave them the Wilton one... because my sister's husband is a very smart, directions following sort of man who could have executed it perfectly). What about the end/'corner' pieces that aren't a full piece, do they get both corners to make up the full serving? Or do those pieces go to the 'just a small piece' people?

I just stick it on a plate by itself - 1 piece - there is always the "Just a Small Piece" person in every crowd!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #56 of 86

Straying off the subject somewhat here but oh so important icon_smile.gif

someone posted: .........girl screaming and crying because her favorite character had been brutally murdered! ...

There is/was a bakery in Los Angles (or some suburb) that makes/sells cakes to actors and high profile people. The owner gave a demo at some affair I attended yrs ago about 3-d cakes. One of the main things she stressed was NOT to make the head edible exactly for the reason above!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #57 of 86

The cake should sue for negligence! The penalty? Twenty whacks up side the head for destroying a beautiful cake.

Clovers Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:41pm
post #58 of 86

There was a nice outcome to it all though.. my nephew, a typical teen who I don't hear from very often, sent me a facebook message the day after the wedding and all it said was 'Best Cake Ever.' haha My sister told me after that he would very much like for me to make his birthday cake in December.

mad-house-mum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad-house-mum Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #59 of 86

This is like the cake i made for my sons best friends birthday it was 2 8's stacked and decorated in fondant , they forgot to bring a knife so tryed cutting it with a paper plate folded in half then used the wooden scewer that was holding the name plaque lol. I just stood in horrified silence staring, the dad said he was fine no problems, but then dished it up as if it was one cake great big wedges of cake.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Git over here so I can smack you silly!) .... go to my website and BOOKMARK my page on how to cut a wedding cake. Print out out and give it to every bride.

Smack away cause I don't know how either. I am printing your guide right now though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%