Help! Red Velvet Cake Falls When Cooking!

Baking By CookinKristi Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm by CookinKristi

CookinKristi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 3

I love the Red Velvet cake recipe posted by Sarah on this website, but I have a problem every time I make it. Just as it finishes cooking, the center falls. I have a wedding cake on the 19th that needs an 18" square bottom layer out of red velvet and I can't get the cake to cook right. Any suggestions of what I should do differently? Thanks!

2 replies
DetailsByDawn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 3

I had the EXACT same problem with my Red Velvet recipe! This is probably not the right answer, but it's the only way I can get it to bake right for me. I use the homemade bake-even strips around the edge of the pan (just wet paper towels wrapped in foil) and bake at 320-325 until a crack justs begins to form in the middle. I know that technically this means it's overdone, but the cake is still moist and delicious. It's the one I get the most raves about. I hope this helps, but maybe someone out there has the right answer for you! Good luck with your cake!

CookinKristi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your advice. I do use baking strips so I will have to try lowering the temperature. My cakes fall before they even come out of the oven. I'll check them and they look great but aren't quite cooked, then when they are cooked, they have already fallen. I've even had them fall before I've ever checked them, so I don't know what causes that. It's only the red velvet recipe that I have this problem with too. I will try the lower temperature though, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%