Orginization

Decorating By ninatat Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm by tatorchip

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, ya know i've tried and tried to organize my tools, i have my bc, colors, utinsels,crisco, under the cupboard counter top, my fondant items, i put in baggies or empty coffee containers and write on them , and i try to keep it so organized, i am a tote person, i live in a 3 bedroom double wide with 3 walk in closets, funny when my daughter was moving she came over to borrow some. her boyfriend say oh oh i'm toting now to lol. but the tote is more digging that i want. does anyone else have this problem or am i just a slob, i really try thanks icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

Hey ninatat,
I was having some difficulty understanding your question but I will tell you what I do to organize my stuff. I use plastic tackle boxes like this. They come with removable dividers so you can make the spaces bigger or smaller. Plus they are stackable and will fit in a back pack, duffle bag, or tote bag for carrying.
Hope this helps,
Mrcake01
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 8

I have one of those little plastic carts with all the drawers. Some are deep and some are shallow. I have a drawer for cutters, one for bags and tips, one for tools, one for chocolate molds, etc...The nice thing about the cart is that it can be rolled over to where I'm working and then all my stuff is at arm's reach, then I can store the cart out of sight later on.

I keep my icing colors in a separate plastic shoebox so that they don't make a mess on everything else.

My cookie cutters are bagged by season and then stored in a big tub.

My cake pans are in a tub. And my sheets of foamcore are stored behind the couch icon_biggrin.gif

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 8

Like Texas-Rose I have a tower of drawers for my tools, bags, tips, etc. I put my colors in there too, but it would be a better idea to keep them separate. My cake pans are also in a tub. Ironically, I reorganized all of my cake stuff yesterday. So it hasn't had a chance to get mess up yet!! I was losing track of where things were, so I figured I better get control of it before it got too out of control. You can find the towers at office supply stores as well as Walmart and places like that.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 8

I have 3 sets of those stackable drawers. They are not very organized, but at least I know where to go for things. I do however use the craft cases, something like the other poster showed, but I took a label maker and put the number of my tips on the outside. That way I don't have to look for the compartment a certain tip is in. It really is a time saver.
My frosting is under my island along with some of my cake pans and levelers.

You have given me the itch to label my drawers so I will put everything back in it's place. Thanks!!! I think!!!!!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 8

I have a big toolbox and a little tool box. Lots of little drawers and compartments, I really like it! I store my tubs of icing colors in styrofoam egg cartons to avoid messing up anything else, then just stick them in the toolbox! (I mostly just have the small Wilton ones. I'm stocking up on Americolor as I run out of those, but a little goes a long way, really!) I would suggest looking for toolboxes or tackle boxes instead of things made "specifically" for cake decorating. They're usually the SAME or very similar, but toolboxes are often HALF the price. Weird.

You may have to settle for black and yellow instead of some pretty design, but I'm not one who really cares! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 8

icon_redface.gif I'm embarassed to say, but i wanted to believe before i was organized with my cake stuff but i really wasn't. I just posted in the lounge forum about how i transformed my 'spare' room into the most perfect cake space. I organized mostly all my cake stuff into the spare rooms closet. It is wonderful now that it's done but it was alot of work. Prior to starting i couldn't even walk into that room. Now everything is in one spot and has a place. So it's possible, but you have to just get started. I'm not really selling my cakes at this point but i sure have collected alot of tools and stuff over the years.
Here are a few pics.
LL
LL

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

I got those large beach bags at walmart on sale for $1.00 each, they are lite and my DH put hooks on the wall in my sewing room and I have all 12 of them hanging, each one has my pan sets in them, the odd pans are together, that gave me a lot of cabinet room and my pans are organized. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%