Things I Probably Should Have Mentioned To The Mob

Business By missmeg Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm by cylstrial

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 13

~ there's a skewer down the middle of the bottom two tiers to keep the cake stable - remember that if you plan on disassembling the cake prior to cutting / serving.

~ save the boxes! There might be leftover cake.

~ boats are movable contraptions and cake is fragile. You shouldn't try to move the cake yourself. Yes, it looks small. But it's still heavy AND fragile.

~ please be sober when you cut the cake.

~ don't throw away any plastic pieces. They're what's covered under the equipment deposit. I don't get them back...you don't get the deposit back.

~ remove the ribbon prior to cutting / serving.

It probably wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I have heard only great things about the cake, but I woke up at 3 am realizing I never specifically told them to make sure the ribbon was removed FIRST, and the whole thing about the stake. Oops icon_smile.gif.[/list]

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 13

OMG. Yeah, what is common knowledge to us (and sorta able to figure out as you go without too much trouble for most others), is not always thought of to be explained, eh? icon_biggrin.gif

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 13

I love when I deliver cakes and I tell people, ok there are instructions for you that go along with this cake, and they roll their eyes at me and I start explaining about supports and cutting and everything else and by the end they are like wow I never would have imagined all thaticon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 13

Sometimes I feel like I need to grab them by their neck and make them listen too! Like, WAIT! Don't act like this is not important! icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Sometimes I feel like I need to grab them by their neck and make them listen too! Like, WAIT! Don't act like this is not important! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah...this was her attitude! Especially when I was explaining about how to cut the cake. It was a smaller wedding (75 guests), and the immediate family provided the food. There was no "professional" there to cut the cake icon_eek.gif . As I was waiting for the MOB to arrive I kept on thinking "I wasn't contracted to stay and cut the cake...who's going to cut and serve the cake...". And she was totally like "whatever" as I explained how to disassemble it prior to cutting.

The MOB cut the cake herself. Not my job, not my responsibility. And as I said...so far nothing but RAVE reviews thumbs_up.gif . We'll see if I get all of my equipment back.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 13

My most recent wedding cake consult, the brides parents asked me to give them directions ahead of time, a few days before the wedding at least. MOB says "we need to plan ahead, and not let Aunt Marcia help, she stepped in the cake at the last wedding" icon_eek.gif

I asked her how in the world she managed to step in the cake, and apparently they had placed all of the extra tiers under the table while they were cutting one at a time and she put her foot in one!!!

They plan to have a family friend, who happens to have an engineering degree, cut it this time so it is perfectly precise! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

...and apparently they had placed all of the extra tiers under the table while they were cutting one at a time ....

I'm trying to imagine any circumstance in which I thought putting a cake under the table was a good idea to START with! icon_surprised.gif

"Stupid is as stupid does!" ...... Forrest Gump's mama

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

...and apparently they had placed all of the extra tiers under the table while they were cutting one at a time ....

I'm trying to imagine any circumstance in which I thought putting a cake under the table was a good idea to START with! icon_surprised.gif

I know, that is exactly what I thought!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

~ don't throw away any plastic pieces. They're what's covered under the equipment deposit. I don't get them back...you don't get the deposit back.

Okay, I admit that the one and only wedding I did (friend) was a small intimate gathering and was a cupcake wedding. I had to leave before dessert but know the cupcakes went over well. When I went by the next week to get my Wilton cake stand back (doubled as my cupcake display) I found out that the groom-to-be had thrown it away when he cleaned up after the wedding.

Actually, I was impressed that it was the groom who cleaned up after the wedding... but how stupid can you be to think a big ole thing like that is disposable?!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

~ there's a skewer down the middle of the bottom two tiers to keep the cake stable - remember that if you plan on disassembling the cake prior to cutting / serving.

I forgot this detail once & a guest bite down on a dowel. The hostess (thankfully someone who is quick witted & VERY understanding) yelled out, "Yay! You won the prize!" to cover my mistake. I don't know what prize she gave him but I was thankful she took it so well. icon_biggrin.gif

msbask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbask Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:

Hysterical!!! And great advice, too!!!

missmeg Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbask

Quote:

Hysterical!!! And great advice, too!!!

This was because as I was explaining to the MOB how to cut & serve the cake, her friend came up, grabbed a warm Bud Lite from the unopened box on the bar counter, and proceeded to drink it icon_surprised.gif . Who the heck does that?????

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:

~ save the boxes! There might be leftover cake.

~ boats are movable contraptions and cake is fragile. You shouldn't try to move the cake yourself. Yes, it looks small. But it's still heavy AND fragile.

~ remove the ribbon prior to cutting / serving.

It probably wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I have heard only great things about the cake, but I woke up at 3 am realizing I never specifically told them to make sure the ribbon was removed FIRST, and the whole thing about the stake. Oops icon_smile.gif.[/list]

I love your list! It's too funny! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%