Ribbon On A Cake

Decorating By becky1955 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:16am by lutie

becky1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky1955 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 8

What kind of ribbon on a cake will not absorb grease.

7 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 8

there are alot of threads on this, i know some put contact paper on the back and other things

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

Hey becky1955,
I've been told to use floral ribbon because it's waterproof. No need to do anything else to the ribbon.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 8

I've tried for a long time to figure out how to keep my ribbons from asorbing grease. With my wedding cake this past weekend, I went the opposite route and embrased the absorbsion.

I put the ribbon on the night before the wedding, using a #5 tip to zig-zag bc where the ribbon needed to go. The ribbons ended up completely aborbing the grease, and it looked just fine when I delivered it.

I know it's not the question you asked, but this was the solution I found.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 8

I tell my brides to choose a ribbon color one hue lighter for the cake. Then when it absorbs the grease-it is the correct color.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 8

Fondant ribbon will not absorb grease AND its food safe.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 8

I have done alot of ribbons on cakes, just let the cake sit and crust very well. I usually let it sit overnight but at least for a few hours, then put it on. It wont absorb any grease.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #8 of 8

I have had so many disasters with ribbon on butter cream, but this week-end I finally came up with the answer that works for me.

Take the transparent scotch tape (I use the kind that is not see-through) and put it on the back of the ribbon, making sure that one edge is right on the edge of one side of the ribbon. Cut off the excess on the other side of the tape... now the ribbon is covered and the thick tape will not allow any absorption...after three hours, the ribbon had not absorbed the grease...so it apparently works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%