Ices Certification Abuse/scandal

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 3

Both years, candidates are informed that the results of the test would be announced at the banquet several days after the test. Then right after those grueling eight hours are completed the candidates are offered a deal where the candidate can learn thier results earlier by signing a waiver that the condidate will keep those results a secret.

That is certifiably true for each year. However they did not inform me for a week and I know they did not inform someone else the first year.

Who cares you might think? Over and done, move on.

Because ICES has refused to address my complaint, I'm not gonna let this happen again without as many people as possible understanding the nature of the playing field at ICES certification.

It's really unfortunate to those who made it too but I am calling this organization to task so that your certification can hope to mean the acheivment we all would like for it to mean.

It shows an undesirable way to conduct business yes?.

1) Why the big secret in the first place?
2) Why go out of your way to leave people hanging by a thin thread?

Folks, whether you achieve this certification or not, each candidate goes through a ton of: money, ingredients, planning, hours of practice, travel, pressure.

A certification official apologized to me and offered to pay my fee to another one. While I say thanks but absolutely not - this does show culpability.

However, The president of ICES and the new head of certification have refused to acknowlege my issues. They dismissed it by quoting their refund policy which has nothing to do with what happened to me. I have all the emails.

Two adjudicators held up their hands and waved at me like traffic cops and said, "You can't start." While the others were permitted to start. In a minute, I got the go ahead. This threw me off my game this affected my work. It was a disqualification while they perused the rules. There was no recompense for the non-start. Picture a foot race where one person starts late.

After I paid in January they changed the rules in March too.

Because I did not gain certification you are welcome to infer 'sour grapes' by this post. However if you or your friend go for this certification--please inform them of the nature of the playing field. Heads up, Cake Buddies.

I welcome ICES to respond here. I welcomed them to respond privately too.

This is the line from the webpage:

Quote:
Quote:

The purpose of the International Cake Exploration Societé (ICES) Certification Program is to educate and encourage ICES members to develop their talents in the sugar arts, acquire new sugar art skills, strive for excellence, and improve their standard of decorating now and into the future.

I say, 'Not even close, ICES.' As well as, 'You first, my dears'.

Hopefully this will help ensure things will be much improved.

2 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 3

Wow! I'm sorry that happened to you and other people. That's not cool!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 3

This ^^^ is as succint and condensed as I can be. I'll be glad to explain anything further.

The certification official standing at the door when we walked in, squeezed the arm of the two candidates in front of me & gave encouraging words but not to everyones. Oops.

ICES, all volunteer or not, you gotta own your business just like I own mine. I failed your certification process and I am proud to not be certified by the likes of you.

edited to say~~I don't think this was done on purpose. And that is my further point--we all should conduct our business with clear and respectful purpose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%