Simulate Grass/bushes In Fondant?

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm by Makeitmemorable

brian1974 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 6

Looking for ways to simulate green grassy look on fondant, maybe with an impression mat/roller or someting simalar.
Any pics of what you are sugesting would be helpful if you have them.

Im also looking at making a 3 dimensional bush about 1 inch by 2 inches ,
any ideas how to achieve a reasonably realistic look would be helpful.

I dont wish to pipe grass or bushes.

Thanks

Brian

5 replies
7yyrt Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 6

A gumdrop shape of fondant (or a truffle) covered with tiny fondant leaves?

KatanaRogue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 6

You could

a) paint them on

or

b) use a clay extruder and stick them on.

Win Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 6

Here is a picture of a gingerbread cottage I did...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1328174

I achieve the grass by placing bits of varying shades of green fondant on the board. I then use a star tip and poke holes all over blending the different heights of the grass. Finally I use vodka and varying shades of green gel food color to get the different levels of shading.

The bushes are much the same. For the topiary in the pot on the bench, I first created a mold for the pot. Then I used green gumpaste to create the shape of the bush. Finally, I took a smaller star tip and made the indentions in the bush to emulate an evergreen. Again, finished by painting with vodka and gel colors.

HTH!

brian1974 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thats exactly what i was looking for thanks Win , and thankyou all for your suggestions.

Makeitmemorable Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

To make small bushes, you can also use green fondant in different shades and push it through a net kitchen strainer. Once through to the length you desire, slice it off and it forms a little bush/scrub!

Best of luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%