How Do I Make Friends With My Freezer?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 10

Other than freezing cakes, what else can be frozen for decorating ahead of time? I really like making things for my neighbors, firefighters, teachers, ect- or just gifting something to a friend who needs some cheering up. I'd love to have things "on hand" to decorate right away instead of dragging out the mixer and making everything fresh every time. What else can be frozen? Has anyone frozen batter to make cupcakes? Cookies? Candy? I'd like to have quick access, but still deliver a great-tasting treat. I'd really appreciate your how-to on this so I can decorate and gift more often! icon_smile.gif Thank you!

9 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 10

Cookies are frozen all thr time. Put them into portions, put on sheet, freeze. When frozen pop in bag. Pull a few to bake when needed.

Mike

Writecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 10

Mike: Do you thaw the dough completely before rolling cutout cookies? Thanks!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writecakes

Mike: Do you completely thaw the dough completely before rolling cutout cookies? Thanks!

Sorry about that I've never done rolled out ones. In fact why I suggested cookies is I froze some choc chip ones this weekend.

You could roll them out then freeze. Then bake, and decorate.

Mike

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 10

Ganache - can be made and frozen for up to 3 months - great to torte a cake with and cover.

Cookie dough - i make it - layer it between two sheets of oven bake paper - roll out - then wrap in 2 layers of cling wrap -
Thaws out in about 5 minutes that way.

You could make little fondant/gumpaste decorations - NOT TO FREEZE but to tuck away in a box when completly dry with a lid so as not to get dusty - then you have little flowers/decorations on hand to use at a minutes notice.

If using fondant on cakes - you can colour - then wrap in freezer bags and freeze - saves time mixing in the colours later on.

Bluehue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 10

Drop cookies are great for freezing. Scoop them into dough balls and freeze. I then take them from freezer to oven. Easy peasy.

Rolled/cutout cookies can be frozen in dough stage or in baked/un-iced stage.

I've frozen cake batter before. Had enough for a 6" square but didn't want to throw it in the oven right then. Saran'd it and threw it in the freezer. It pretty much went from freezer to oven and baked up fine.

I want to experiment with cupcake batter, frozen in the baking cups, so I can pull them out, put them in the muffin pan and bake them to see how they turn out.

Writecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 10

Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for the replies icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #8 of 10

I have a book by Elinor Klivans called "Bake and Freeze Desserts". She freezes all sorts of things: baked items ready to thaw and eat, cookie doughs ready to bake, pie shells unbaked ready to fill, frostings, fillings. Sometimes the entire dessert can be completed and frozen, but most often many of the elements can be frozen and assembled at the last minute. She freezes lemon curds, chocolate sauces...all sorts of things.

I bake and freeze mini tartlet shells, but don't fill them with lemon/fruit curds until just before. I bake cupcakes and freeze, make frostings (buttercream freezes beautifully with all that lovely fat and sugar) and freeze. Then if a friend needs cupcakes...thaw the buttercream, pull the cupcakes, swirl and go!

Have fun...the freezer definitely IS your friend!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Drop cookies are great for freezing. Scoop them into dough balls and freeze. I then take them from freezer to oven. Easy peasy.

Rolled/cutout cookies can be frozen in dough stage or in baked/un-iced stage.

I've frozen cake batter before. Had enough for a 6" square but didn't want to throw it in the oven right then. Saran'd it and threw it in the freezer. It pretty much went from freezer to oven and baked up fine.

I want to experiment with cupcake batter, frozen in the baking cups, so I can pull them out, put them in the muffin pan and bake them to see how they turn out.

I just froze some cupcake batter in baking cups a few weeks ago...I think I'm gonna try baking them up this Thursday...I'll let you know how they turn out...I thought that I read on another thread that someone did this.

Writecakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

I bake and freeze mini tartlet shells, but don't fill them with lemon/fruit curds until just before. I bake cupcakes and freeze, make frostings (buttercream freezes beautifully with all that lovely fat and sugar) and freeze. Then if a friend needs cupcakes...thaw the buttercream, pull the cupcakes, swirl and go!

Have fun...the freezer definitely IS your friend!

Thank you - this is exactly what I'm looking to do! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%