There Will Be 1,800 People There! Help!!!

Decorating By duchess1120 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm by cupcakemkr

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 11

I will be a vendor at a hairstylist hair show on Saturday. I will have four cake displays and was told I should sell cake samples/slices. I would like to have jaw dropping works of art but don't have time so I will make a birthday, kid's birthday, wedding, and baby shower.

I was told they are expecting roughly 1,800 people. How do I prepare for this! How many cake slices do I make? What do I put them in? where do I get the boxes (or whatever) to put them in? I believe this could really turn my hobby into a steady source of income. People are coming from FL, SC VA, NC, DC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 11

You can order the packaging online from several paper companies like BRP box..and a few others Just google bakeries packaging.I wouldn't make samples for 1800 people but rather maybe 1/3 so about 500.Make small mini cupcakes or something easy.Cake slices are too time consuming..You want them just too taste..not a meal.I would also hand them out to eat right there because chances are they will hit the garbage on the way out or at home since people don't want to carry stuff around etc.If they eat it right there they will say Mmmmm.and grab a card.Have lots of cards/brochures etc on the table also.Sounds like a great opportunity.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 11

I would get the 2 oz sample cups with the little lids (they are clear plastic) and put samples of cake in it. This is the way a local place does their samples and it is definitely enough to sample.

duchess1120 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 11

I was told by the event coordinator that I could sell my product. That's why I was thinking of the slices.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 11

IMHO; it would be easier to sell cupcakes (regular sized, not minis) than cake slices, neater too!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 11

Sell the cake! Have samples on display and make a few sheetcakes in your best flavors. Or, bring cupcakes and frost them at the event. Have help there to do this while you schmooze with the potential clients. Since they are slices or cupcakes have a little detail. to plop on each one: chocolate wedge etc.

Sell, Sell, Sell. $$$ Let them eat cake!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11

THIS Saturday? You better get crackin'! icon_wink.gif How many vendors will be handing out free samples VS you selling yours? If you are going to sell, I agree with the cupcake idea. If you are doing the free thing, get to GFS and get some lidded souffle cups and print out a small sticker with your info to put on them.

duchess1120 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 11

thanks for the info you guys

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 11

If your going to sell them, then i'ld say go for cupcakes, they look great!!
Good luck and i hope it goes well for you.

duchess1120 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 11

How do I sell them? Are there indivi cupcake boxes I could by or what?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 11

http://www.brpboxshop.com/

a very good place to look for boxes.

you could just give them the cc with a napkin, if they want a to-go box you can use bags or an individual box. Don't forget to add the cost of the packaging into the price of the cc!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%