How Do I Get Started?

Decorating By vanrobmac Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm by vanrobmac

vanrobmac Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 12

Can I sell my cakes out of my home? Just a few for fun not a business. I advertised on craigslist and have gotten a few responses. Is that legal without a permit? What are resonable prices? Do you write up a contract? Do you generally set up the entire cake table? Anything else I should know?

11 replies
MnSnow Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 12

First thing you need to do is contact your department of health and ask them these questions. Laws vary sate by state...county by county

leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 12

selling = business. period.

Check the sticky at the top of this Forum to see if your state licenses home kitchens.

And remember, your competitors and the Health department personnel also read Craig's List.

vanrobmac Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 12

I've checked into it and Indiana State does not have any regulations about selling baked goods made from you home. All that is required is to inform the person that it was made in your home and it was not inspected my the health department. Thanks everyone for your help

step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 12

you're asking business people in this forum for advice. I know there are a few people on this site from Indiana and they may have some things to say about this topic. But just so you know you may have looked in the wrong place for information. Because you looked at "baked goods" doesn't necessarily mean cuz it's not there there are no regulations.

you need to contact your local health department and speak with someone.

vanrobmac Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 12

Yes I have spoken with someone. Everything is ok to go. Thanks

vanrobmac Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 12

Does anyone have any advise on this part of the post:

What are resonable prices? Do you write up a contract? Do you generally set up the entire cake table? Anything else I should know?

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 12
Originally Posted by vanrobmac

....Indiana State does not have any regulations about selling baked goods made from you home.

That is so not true, unless you just phrased it wrong. There ARE regulations about selling from your home. Whether those regulations say it's ok or say that it's not is part of the discussions, but there ARE regulations.

I find it hard to believe someone in the HD told you "oh there are no rules, do whatever you want."

With the recent passage of HB1309, the Farmer's Market bill, there are mixed opinions on what this bill does. Most who have followed the bill read it as you are permitted to make certain low acidity foods from your home and sell them from a farmer's market or a roadside stand, with proper labeling.

Can you share what county you're in and who you talked to?

vanrobmac Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #9 of 12

Yes, I sorry I did indead state that wrong. There are always certain requirements attached.

Does anyone have anything to say about the last half of my question?! This is my first forum I didn't know. Forgive me.

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #10 of 12

Have you done some local research to see what bakeries are selling their cakes for? Not grocery store bakeries..... real bakeries.

If you're going to do this as a business, a contract is a must. So is liability insurance. If you plan on delivering wedding cakes, check with your insurance agent to see what the requirements are for commercial auto coverage.

There are tons of threads in teh business forum that can be an eye opener for pricing. It's the part we all hate and struggle over. I suggest you pick a serving chart and stick with that to determine your per-serving pricing. Here's two of them: (the one I use and will get you more money per cake)

and the other one that some CC'er use:

I don't set up any tables. I refer to my cakes as D&R ... Drop & Run. Meaning I carry the cake in, set in on the table and leave. If you set up or decorate the table, be sure to charge for your time and materials to do this. Personally, I wouldn't get into that part of it, though. Let the bride decorate the cake table so it matches everything else she is doing.

Can you share what county you are in? I ask because as you browse this site on this topic, you'll find we're are getting different answers from different counties, so I'm always curious on what each county is saying and how the bill is being interpreted.

JanH Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 12

Since it's obvious that newbie, vanrobmac, posted in the wrong forum I'm relocating it from the Business Forum...


vanrobmac Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 12

Indydebi, Thanks for the info. That's a good idea to look into other bakeries. I am in Monroe County and I was told by the HD that they are aware there are people that sell out of their homes. The new law states that it has to be for farmers market or roadside stand but that they are not going after people that would sell out of their homes. She said "What I don't know won't hurt me." Also, if there is a seperate kitchen it could be considered a business. Which I have and I'm thinking more about going along those lines.

The table question was a little odd. I only asked because at my wedding in Washington State two years ago we hired a lady that makes cakes for fun out of her house and she set up the entire table. Which was nice for me but I agree I don't want to be responsiable for all that trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%