How Do You Get Smooth Edges When Cutting Out Shapes?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 19 Apr 2016 , 3:32pm by Nanco

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:47am
post #1 of 20

So i finished making a Dr. Who tardis cake yesterday and i had to cut out 32 squares from the fondant panel doors which besides taking a very long time when i was cutting them out, the edges in the squares were just really jagged and messy and it didn't matter what knife i use like normal thin blade kitchen knife, scapel etc it didn't make it smoother.

i know for larger shapes you can use a pizza wheel but just wanted to ask what do you use when cutting out shapes when too small for the good old pizza wheel so that you get a smoother edge where they are cut

Does it have to do with the specific fondant your are cutting out or how thick the fondant is your cutting into?

Sorry if it seems like a simple silly question, it just really bugged me that i couldn't get them looking nice and neat and any tips to help me much appreciated, cheers thumbs_up.gif

19 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:04am
post #2 of 20

Hi Elise,

I have the same problem so I'm keen to read the replies... but I really just wanted to say can we see a picture please? I'm such a cake and Dr Who geek I can't wait to see it icon_wink.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:05am
post #3 of 20

I find that when I use a cookie cutter for shapes I try to keep the shape in the cutter then rub the edges with my finger.

Anything that is frayed will fall off and you get a clean edge.

When I use a knife to cut our a shape I find that doing the same works too, but for a fine edge I will usually take a small spatula and press it against the edges to straiten and even it out icon_smile.gif

HTH

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:24am
post #4 of 20

For homemade "cutting tools" - best are cookie cutters - this would be ideal for your squares. An alternative is a strip plastic cut from thin plastic (think coke bottle or similar) - I have a homemade cutter in half round form, cut with scissors from some packaging. It works similar to herb chopping cradle. Here is the secret that you make the "cut" from the top and you are not dragging blade through your fondant.
But should I go the professional way - this is the tool I want http://tinyurl.com/mjgnof - it is PME cutting wheel. It is your pizza wheel, only in miniature. But I cannot bring myself to pay thrice the price of the tool for the shipping icon_sad.gif and I am waiting to splurge on bigger order.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:06am
post #5 of 20

The best way to get *sharp clean edges* is to ....

Roll you Fondant (medium) out
Allow to sit for a GOOD 5 minutes or so
This allows the medium to firm a little bit, thus not soft as this can cause movement when cutting out shapes....and because it can be a bit *doughy* (for use of a better word) your edges can be a bit frayed - IYKWIM.

The same goes when using impression mats to emboss fondant (medium)
If you roll it out - again, allow it to sit for a GOOD 5 minutes - that way you don't have to use corn flour/corn starch or icing sugar to give you a firmer surface.
It will just air dry by itself - and thus your empression mat won't stick -

How do i know - trial and error .... lol lol lol lol icon_redface.gif

Now i am off to look at that tool majka_ze spoke of.

ETA - went and had a look majka_ze ...we pay about 6 Aussie dollars for one of them.
How much are they charging you for postage - surely not 18 - thats wicked.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:44am
post #6 of 20

Bluehue, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get that for $6 in Aus?
Emma

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:48am
post #7 of 20

Bluehue, I am sitting in Central Europe, meaning international shipping for most special equipment. And Czech republic is still somewhat exotic for most shops - I am lucky to find a shop who will send it here, won't have an high minimum order and use cheep post service - the reliability and availability is same for first class, priority and even express mail - small packages all arrive within few days, but are held up to 2 months in customs, even when the price is as low as this tool - they count the postage price in it. Take in account exchange rate - 2 years ago I paid about half of the today's prices in my currency. It simply makes sense to wait for a bigger order, where the postage cost is divided between more items.

Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 20

http://www.champagnecakes.com.au/index.html

emcm51 - i bought mine two years ago off ebay -

And now when i went to my normal supplier (web site above) i realised icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif they are more expensive.
Its not shown on her web site but Dawn carries both kinds...
(i jut phoned her to get the correct prices)

The one that has a little wheel head at one end and then a tad larger one at the other for $11.50

Plus

Dawn has the interchangable head ones that sells for $14.50.

Sorry about that price goofup - icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

majka_ze - if you wish i can see what Standard Mail costs from Australia to you - and will get back to you with the cost...
It would be no bother to grab one and standard mail it off to you - thats if you have problems getting minimum orders sent to you.

Just pm me if i can be of help -

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 20

i roll my fondant or gumpaste out to the thickness id like, then i lay the fondant/gumpate ON the cutter and use a small roller to 'push' it through the cutter. it always gives me smooth edges this way.

Elise87 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 20

cool, thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I would really like one of those little wheel cutters icon_smile.gif

Bluehue: you are always so thoughtful in helping people out icon_smile.gif

Bunsen: Oh i love Dr. Who too, i am so sad that david tennant is leaving, he was great!

Oh and sorry i hadn't got around to posting a photo of the tradis cake yesterday but have just added it now so here's the link:

http://CakeCentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1462215

Love to know how you think it turned out icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 20

I agree with rolling the fondant out to the thickness you want and leave it sit for awhile before cutting. It really helps with getting the cuts sharper and cleaner.

Elise87 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 20

Well see that's the thing, that was my plan all along so once i rolled it out i left it for a fair while to firm up...maybe too long? but anyway it didn't want to firm up as fast as it usually does and i gave it a good 20 mins lol

I am thinking maybe because i used MMF and it has a 'rougher' texture then say store bought fondant i find that is what i have a rougher edge to my cut outs.

Oh and since i always have lots of little questions that i don't always want to create new posts for cose that would be annoying i would like to ask another question...

Non stick rolling pin question:

When rolling out my colored fondant and i have lots of trouble with this on my blue fondant for my cake is i have to put icing sugar on top to stop my wooden rolling pin sticking and then the icing sugar really sticks and i can't brush it off afterwards so i get all white specks of it everywhere and when i wiped it over with a web brush area's ending up staying shiny etc etc

Are those non stick rolling pins you can buy just as non stick as they claim to be because man would that save me the trouble i have with colour fondant and icing sugar!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 20

I have also found that if I stick my cutter into Crisco before I cut, it helps to make the edges smoother.

Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Well see that's the thing, that was my plan all along so once i rolled it out i left it for a fair while to firm up...maybe too long? but anyway it didn't want to firm up as fast as it usually does and i gave it a good 20 mins lol

I am thinking maybe because i used MMF and it has a 'rougher' texture then say store bought fondant i find that is what i have a rougher edge to my cut outs.
When you cut the shape - do you wriggle the cutter just a little - that can also give you a clean edge....as it moves the shape away from the edge of the actually cutter - gawd, did that make sense - icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif
Oh and since i always have lots of little questions that i don't always want to create new posts for cose that would be annoying i would like to ask another question...

Non stick rolling pin question:

When rolling out my colored fondant and i have lots of trouble with this on my blue fondant for my cake is i have to put icing sugar on top to stop my wooden rolling pin sticking and then the icing sugar really sticks and i can't brush it off afterwards so i get all white specks of it everywhere and when i wiped it over with a web brush area's ending up staying shiny etc etc
Hmmmm, just a thought - are you using powder colours or the gel/liquid colours ?(like the Wilton's)
Sometimes the medium can get real sticky because the gel/liquid colours make it tooooo soft.
Thats why i prefer to use powder colours - it doesn't get all tacky and stretchy -

Are those non stick rolling pins you can buy just as non stick as they claim to be because man would that save me the trouble i have with colour fondant and icing sugar!

http://www.everten.com.au/category/SilPin.html/
The are available here from this website - cheaper than what you can buy them in the shops - even with the $6.95 postage.... thumbs_up.gif
I have the mint green one (which actually looks lemon in the photo).

Mind you, IF the weather is humid the Regalice will stick a little .
I just make sure that i have kneeded it well and truely with the heel of my hand before i start rolling.
Best rolling pin i have ever had - i would like to buy the lonnnnng one one day icon_rolleyes.gif

Re: the little wheel cutter - just send Dawn at champange cakes an email -
or click on her site and she will post one off to you the very next day -
Thats if you can't find one around where you live.

Hope some of the above helps - off to look at your cake picture now -
Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 20

I use the wilton paste colours but it's never really sticky, just low to medium sticky lol. Oh and i didn't use a cutter when i cut the squares, i used a scalpel/knife

Well i was thinking of buying a non stick 22cm one from cake deco which doesn't have handles though, i can't really afford a giant wilton one atm

http://www.cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=1290

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #16 of 20

i coat my exacto knife with crisco (i actually just "stab" it into the crisco i have just for this purpose, lol) when cutting so it doesn't pull or drag the fondant and you get a clean edge.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #17 of 20

Love the Tardis cake, and especially the banana!

I agree with Bluehue about the powder colours, I swear by them for darker shades. Also I use copha for rolling out the darker colours to avoid the white marks - it's hard going compared to using corn flour or sugar but does work.

Elise87 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #18 of 20

thanks bunsen!

i was always scared that using copha and all that would leave greasy marks or something on my fondant cose i never have used it before that is why i always stuck to icing sugar or icing sugar mixed with corn flour

Elise87 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:24am
post #19 of 20

Can i add another question?

I have this store bought fondant type icing except it really tends to go really soft while you are kneading and working with it and sometimes a bit too soft so are you just able to knead in more icing sugar to make it firmer like you normally would with home made fondant or does that not work?

Nanco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanco Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 20

Great suggestions ya'll....i seem to have the most problem with plastic cutters, not the metal.  but I will try some of these techniques.  Buying a cutter I need just to save time then have to spend 20 minutes cleaning up the images doesn't make me happy.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%