Cracked Cake And Sticky Mmf....

Decorating By ashrunn Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm by ashrunn

ashrunn Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:38am
post #1 of 8

I'm very new to this, so all tips are welcome!
For my dad's birthday, I made him the famous hamburger cake. The "meat" and the top "bun" both cracked in half beyond repair, which made the everything else slide down with it. It still looked good from the front! I used extra moist cake mix, could that have been my problem? Also, I made MMF for the "vegetables" and they ended up looking great, but I feel like it was a lot harder than it should have been. I couldn't roll the fondant out completely flat because it was so sticky and it was all stuck to my hands; big mess. I used crisco, what else should I have done?

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:49am
post #2 of 8

if its a very soft cake, it needs very careful handling. if it was a tall cake, you might have wanted to use a support system as well.

did your mmf turn out the way it was supposed too? if it was as the recipe describes when you started working with it, maybe too much crisco got added in, or you overworked it (some people prefer to roll out on ps, corn flour or a mat.
xx

ashrunn Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 8

So, is it not a good thing to use super moist cakes for shaping? What are the best kinds to use? I'm not sure if the mmf turned out right...I definitely could never imagine covering a whole cake with it, so I'm going to say no. Do you have any amazingly-awesome-never-fail mmf recipes? icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrunn

So, is it not a good thing to use super moist cakes for shaping? What are the best kinds to use? I'm not sure if the mmf turned out right...I definitely could never imagine covering a whole cake with it, so I'm going to say no. Do you have any amazingly-awesome-never-fail mmf recipes? icon_smile.gif

For carving cakes it's best to use a dense cake like a pound cake. I think though for something like a hamburger cake though a WASC cake would work really well. It is a pretty sturdy/dense cake, not as much as a pound cake but should work for what you needed. I like using the original WASC recipe by kakeladi (you can find it in the recipe section).

If you have never worked with fondant before I would highly recommend purchasing some premade fondant so you can get a feel for the consistency it should be (Wilton's is excellent for consistency but tastes horrible IMO). Just buy a small bag/box and use the 50% off coupon that's available right now so you can play with it.

If your MMF was too sticky it may have needed a little more ps kneaded into it. I like to roll out my fondant (and I use MFF not MMF - recipe is also in the recipe section under Michele Foster's Fondant and for commercial I use Satin Ice) using corn starch or a very light smear of shortening.

Hope that helps.

Also as pp mentioned you may have needed some support system for your cakes as well. A good rule of thumb is add support every 4" of cake.

xstitcher Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 8

Forgot to add:

Welcome to CC!

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #6 of 8

MMF is sticky even when it's right. That's why people use crisco, powdered sugar or cornstarch to roll it out. I prefer cornstarch because it doesn't take as much to work as the PS and it doesn't make it greasy looking like the crisco (but crisco is good to use when you're learning to work with it, makes it easier).

The MMF that I use is just 1 lb MM, 2 lb PS, 4 tbsp water and then crisco to grease hands and surfaces.

If your cake was carved, the problem was most likely that cake mix cakes don't hold up well to carving. You need something a little sturdier or more dense.

Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 8

MMF - mine is never sticky - it is just like purchased fondant. I even put it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it so it is easier to knead. It is all in how much powdered sugar you have kneaded into it - if it is still sticky - it needs more.

I agree with XS - BUY some wilton - play with it - then you will see how it is supposed to feel....and welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

ashrunn Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you guys so much! icon_biggrin.gif
And by the way...I am already SO addicted to CC. It's bad for procrastinating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%