Storing Cakes While They Are Being Decorated

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm by kimbordeaux

kimbordeaux Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

I would like to know how to store a cake while it is being decorated. The last cake I made took several days to make. I left it on the counter while I decorated it for 5 days, wrapped in Saran wrap. When I tasted it after I was done (made cake for practice) it tasted old. I donât want to sell someone a cake that tasted like that. The cake recipe I used was the WASC one. Can I refrigerate cake while Iâm working on it? I do a lot of fondant cakes with buttercream underneath. If you can store the cakes in fridge how would I do it? Would I wrap them with Saran wrap, put cake in a cardboard boxâ¦?
When I removed cake from fridge how would it look and hold up? I donât want to sell a nasty cake. I not only want it to look great but taste great also!

10 replies
jammjenks Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 11

THe cake tasting old was probably more from you working on it for 5 days than from your storing method. Maybe you could make a timeline where you bake on Wed, ice/fondant on Thur, and decorate on Fri (for example)?? When I work on one and have to leave it out overnight, I usually just leave it out uncovered. If it will fit in a box, then I box it. Most of the time they don't though. HTH

kimbordeaux Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks April for your advice. I do need to plan more. There are going to be cakes that take days (2-5) days to complete. You see on these cake shows where they say it took them 40+ hours to complete the cake. How are they keeping their cakes? When their customers taste the cake they say how great it taste also. Their cakes have fondant. I heard the fridge will dry fondant out and when you take it out of fridge the cake will sweat then the fondant will start to droop.

Lovemesomecake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Thanks April for your advice. I do need to plan more. There are going to be cakes that take days (2-5) days to complete. You see on these cake shows where they say it took them 40+ hours to complete the cake. How are they keeping their cakes?

I always wonder the same thing!!!!!!

tiggy2 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 11

I think when they "40 hours" they mena from start to finish. However, a lot of the work is done before the cake is baked. Gum paste flowers and accessories can be made days or weeks ahead of time. I also make my icing ahead of time so when it's time to decorate everything is ready to go.

kimbordeaux Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 11

Tiggy2 I see what you are saying. They are including their time making the icing, fondant, cake, decorations... in with the time it took to actually decorate the cake. I guess if they had 4 people working on the cake and each spent 5 hours on cake they would probaly say that was 20 hours there also. I understand the hour thing now. Thanks

cupcakeco Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

Save for the BC and fondant being made/colored ahead of time, I'm usually on a two-three day timeline also wherein I try to bake last thing before I go to bed & store overnight in the COOLED oven in the pans. This way by morning the cakes are cooled, I torte, fill, crumbcoat/ice and then cover/seal with fondant. Doing it in this way pretty much means that the cakes are out for a max of 10-12 hours (and in the oven for most--airtight) before getting sealed in with the fondant-- and then I'm free to decorate for another 1-1/2 days max. Never had any problems.

Oh and a tip if you're going to store the cakes in the oven-- SIGNAGE! I tape signs saying "DO NOT TURN ON OVEN" to the cabinet above the oven, a sign over the actual button to turn it on, and the handle to open it. Just incase... icon_smile.gif

kimbordeaux Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 11

Cupcakeco,
Thanks for advice. The sign is a great idea but I wouldn't need that in my home. No one else here cooks or even knows how to work the stove probably, lol.

sew4children Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 11

I store all of my cakes in the fridge, even the fondant covered ones. I started using Satin Ice only when I had a lot of cakes and not enough time to make my own fondant. When I saw how nicely it stores, I started using it all of the time.

If Satin Ice isn't an option, I would try to make the time from baking to fondant as short as possible. Once the fondant is on, most cakes are good to sit on the counter w/o drying out. I try to bake and crumb coat and place in fridge. I leave the cakes in the fridge until my fondant is rolled and ready to go. Then take the cake out of the fridge and leave on counter until complete.

Good Luck!

cupcakeco Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 11

Kim-- I just want to add that the signs aren't just for others-- they're for myself too! icon_smile.gif I've heard many a horror story on here about storing things in the oven--be it cakes or fondant/GP accents-- and forgetting about them. Even one of the Cake Girls from the show Amazing Wedding Cakes had the same slip up. So I figure, better safe than sorry icon_smile.gif

kimbordeaux Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 11

Cupcakeco,

I saw that show. She had made hundreds of those circles for the cake. She had them stored in oven and forgot! Had to do them all over again. That would probably be me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%